POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Your favorite Age of Myst? : Re: Your favorite Age of Myst? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:13:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Your favorite Age of Myst?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 12 Dec 2007 23:54:40
Message: <MPG.21ca68aeb78dec7398a0c2@news.povray.org>
In article <47607804$1@news.povray.org>, dne### [at] sanrrcom says...
> Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> > I have Riven on a DVD; I can imagine the CD swapping gets annoying :)
>
> It's not too bad. There are six islands. Prison island and age 213 (or
> whatever it's called) are on one disk, and each of the other islands are

> on another disk.
>
> Hence, you really only change disks at the end of a ride or while
> crossing a really long bridge. It's only *annoying* when you click "go
> there" and then realize you forgot to do something and want to go back. ;
-)

> I was also under the impression there were unofficial ways of putting
> all the content on your HD, but I don't think I ever bothered.

Easiest way under Windows, and probably Linux and WINE too, is to use
something like DaemonTools. Make an ISO image of the disk(s), then set
of the tools to support as many virtual CD drives as you need, and
assign them to the ISO images. Never had the disk space for it, and
finding something that *can* make an ISO from most of the damn CDs they
make now is a bit hard, since a lot of them have bloody encryption on
them. DaemonTools will emulate some of the scemes needed to "read" an
ISO that has been encoded with them, but you "still" have to get the ISO
on the drive somehow.

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {