18 Oct 2024 10:22:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 11 Dec 2007 02:10:42
Message: <MPG.21c7e5b4d068ec9798a0b3@news.povray.org>
In article <web.475e24f8922777ebd8f74b370@news.povray.org>,
nam### [at] gmailcom says...
> Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] rraznet> wrote:
> > Its almost a sign
> > of fundamental insanity for someone to suggest that this *hasn't*
> > distorted both the interpretation of historical facts that *are* in
> > evidence, and to strongly imply why some people would much rather
> > imagine ones that have *never* been in evidence, rather than admit that
,
> > once again, the churches interpretation is the one that is badly out of
> > sync of reality.
>
> are all atheists really this boring?  That last sentence was pretty long,
 just
> as the hundreds of them before.  I had to skip and lost track.  sorry...
>
> you sound like Fox Mulder.  you know:  "I want to believe".  Because you'
re
> obsessed in trying to find physical proofs of Jesus existence.

Man, you just don't get it do you. I have no reason to believe. I see no
reason to believe. I find god not only a useless and pointless concept,
but completely redundant. And, even if you proved that Jesus did exist
in some fashion, that wouldn't automatically prove the rest of the BS
anyway. Some Christians now a days figure he was kind of like Buddha.
Not a god, not enlightened, not in any way shape or form divine, but
just some guy with a lot of interesting and perhaps mostly useful ideas.
You are the one insisting that he did exist, demanding that such a
belief be respected and insisting that if he does, he is what *you*
claim him to be. All I am asking is for you to provide me something
other than a bunch of stuff written half a century after the fact, and
your own rhetoric, as evidence. I don't think that is too damn big of a
thing to ask of someone, anyone, that insists I should believe that
their stories are based on real events, in any useful sense, especially
if they insist that all the miracles in it are supposed to be real too.

You would require the same evidence if I claimed to know for *certain*
that Big Foot existed and I had personally seen it from a distance. Yet,
you want me to just take you at your word for it, without evidence, and
believe all of it? You are the one acting like Fox Mulder, wandering
around and insisting that, every time something slightly odd happens,
there is some huge conspiracy to subvert the truth, and that *you*
personally know what the truth really is.

> forget it:  he came as a humble man, too insignificant for the ones in po
wer,
> but sufficiently of an agitator to receive death penalty... nothing too s
habby
> to figure in official records...
>
> though I find it funny you don't mention the James Cameron documentary ab
out
> Jesus tomb...

Why the hell would I mention that idiotic nonsense. I watched it. Its
about as credible as everything else the moron does and calls
archeology. It didn't take a genius, given his past failures and gung ho
charge into shear gibberish, that what he found would turn out to be
complete bunk. We where calling it, "Jesus' vault", and joking about how
it should have been hosted by Gheraldo Revera instead before it even
aired, because we know the guy doing it was a credulous nimrod that made
archeology look like a three ring circus.

But, it would have been interesting if he had actually found something
for once, given that such a tomb would have been damn hard to explain
within the framework of the whole resurrection story.

If I was going to talk about anything like that, I might mention some
vague speculation about certain forms of epilepsy that, instead of
causing physical seizures, cause people to hallucinate and think god is
talking to them, and the well documented state of near death coma, and
slow nuero degeneration, until death, which certain chemicals where
found to cause. Chemicals present in the herbs often mixed into water,
as a means to stop bleeding from wounds in Roman times. Or, the studies
done that indicate that wrists, no matter "how" you secure the legs, are
not strong enough to support someone's body on a nail, without the nail
being ripped straight up through the hands and out. Or any number of
other questions that arise when trying to explain how "anything" in it
could have either happened as described, but not as believed, or simply
couldn't have happened at all.

And while I find quite a few of those things interesting, they are
meaningless until you first establish that such an event took place.
Then you have to establish if the claims where accurate, with respect to
any of it, if, in the case of the drugs, they where actually used, and a
whole host of other things.

No, truth is, other than her belief in religion, I have far more in
common with Scully than Mulder. You on the other hand...

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {
      call slow_by_half();