18 Oct 2024 08:18:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 11 Dec 2007 00:17:27
Message: <MPG.21c7cb513dc6993e98a0ac@news.povray.org>
In article <web.475dcb9d922777eb6c8c02a10@news.povray.org>,
nomail@nomail says...
> > The religious stance of "if we can't explain it, it must be God" isn't
> > valid logic.
> Hmm, right, but I think I read it correctly. I take Patrick's statement t
o mean
> the "not" as:
> you first have to provide evidence that divine intervention was needed to
 make
> that happen, not (that) human action was needed (or whatever). The contex
> doesn't seem to be "not human" in the sense of negation of human.

Since the specific context was Christianities historical success, when
compared to alternatives, its only reasonable to propose that the
largest contributing factor, if not the supernatural, would presumably
be humans. I rather doubt squid, parrots or termites would have had a
huge impact on whether or not it was successful. It was a human
endeavor, so its reasonable to presume that, according to the criteria
given, the answers is either A) humans found the religion useful, as
tool to defuse at least part of Jewish uprising, undermine other
competing religions, and consolidate power in a single ideology that
they could presumably have some control over, or B) god sticks his
fingers into things in a bunch of key situations, so as the *bring
about* the events (yet does so in such a way that no one can find any
evidence of it without first *starting* from the stance of believing in
him).

I find the later *very* improbable, for a number of reasons. 1. The
intentional parallels of events used by Titus to try to make himself
look like the second coming. 2. The fact that the OT was *very* clear
that their savior was *supposed* to be a war lord, come to save them
from foreigners, and instead talked peace, was conveniently betrayed by
the people he supposedly came to lead, and all but told his followers
that they should ignore all offense against them, when the greatest
offenses where coming from the Romans, who had spent the last 50 years
trying to crush the Jewish people. 3. The fact that not even "newer"
documents purporting to prove any of it happened are from earlier than
50 years after the events, when those Romans that had adopted the
religion where in power, the war with the Jews had left the Jewish
people broken (or at least sufficiently pacified) and unable to protest
anything much, and Rome had nearly total control of everything from
England to the borders of parts of Asia.

That is of course the problem with your great "gains" that have been
supposedly made in proving any of it. You still can't provide anything
**from his own time** that proves any of it actually happened, even
among people that where scholars by nature, and recorded every birth,
death, sold cow, odd event witnessed, etc. One would *think* some place
in the thousands of documents from the time he was supposed to be alive
would include some mention of someone that did everything *short of*
selling his cow to the local butcher. There is nothing. We can find
records, despite being buried and hidden, suggesting there may have been
"some" truth in the whole Exodus bit, evidence strongly suggesting where
the Noah story came from, places and archaeological evidence vindicating
the existence of many thing and places in the OT, even if specific
events are presumed exaggerated or can be reasonably linked to possible
earth quakes, volcanos, etc. (there was one such very large volcano at
that 500 year earlier point that exodus may have actually happened, for
example). For the entire contents of the NT, we have the word of one
person that was young enough to have *maybe* been there, but close to a
half century between, a letter by the same person that **claims** he
wrote all of it decades earlier, but, I don't know, lost his hat with
the magic tablets in it or something? No explanation is given in it for
why no earlier work has ever been found, and since the letter was
written during the same period as the works it claims where *really*
written earlier, some *other* evidence is necessary to prove those
stories "did" come from an earlier point. At best, we can say that some
people mentioned existed, in a place we know existed, in a society that
was, if anything, even more obsessed with recording every tiny fart
someone made than the Jewish people where. And yet, all the records from
the period can muster is a name, and some statements, made half a
century after the fact, attesting that all of it happened, but somehow,
no one bothered to record any of it...

Heck, we have better proof that the walls of Jericho fell (though the
fact that the evidence in that case implies that they fell and where
rebuilt about a dozen times in a 200 year period, one of the last times
do to an earthquake that also destroyed half the other coastal cities in
the region doesn't help the claim that the story is accurate). But at
least we can give the odds that someone attacked it then a 50-50 chance,
and not a, "Umm? Where is the evidence the dude existed in the first
place?"

But, I don't think there is much point in continuing the argument. Its
already been made pretty clear that no logical argument, facts or
evidence that might contradict the views of those defending the validity
of the supposed history in the Bible is going to sway them from a)
ignoring the contradictions or b) questioning the existence of the
invisible phantom supposedly behind it. And, I am by no means any where
as near as knowledgeable as some of the others that I have seen dissect
and argue the factual and historical details of this whole thing. And,
they get at tired as I do trying to present any of it to people that
flat out refuse to accept the possibility that hundreds of books written
*specifically* by people that where more interesting in proven their
religion right, and finding and examining the true historical record,
might have just "maybe" had a severely biased interpretation of the
facts. Heck, just look at archeology. There was once a bias that mummies
where meaningless, compared to everything else around them, and that
some old bones found on a alter where just, "random refuse places in box
#43." Today, if someone sold a mummy to burn it in a fire place, they
would end up in jail, and someone finding the skull of some big dino on
an alter, would ask, "Why the heck did the people that built this place
put it there?", not, "Hmm. Its junk. Just shove it in a box."

Its not hard, given that, for a time, the church had absolute control of
early science and all colleges, and the Victorian ideals, which still
hold a strong influence in the US today, later proclaimed *some* ideas
so horrible and unacceptable that one simply didn't *ever* suggest them
(even if evidence suggested they might be right), to imagine a serious
bias problem in works describing early church history. Its almost a sign
of fundamental insanity for someone to suggest that this *hasn't*
distorted both the interpretation of historical facts that *are* in
evidence, and to strongly imply why some people would much rather
imagine ones that have *never* been in evidence, rather than admit that,
once again, the churches interpretation is the one that is badly out of
sync of reality.

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {