17 Oct 2024 19:42:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 9 Dec 2007 23:20:00
Message: <MPG.21c66c32bdddb16098a0a5@news.povray.org>
In article <475c650d$1@news.povray.org>, nos### [at] nospamcom says...
> On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 12:52:40 -0800, Darren New wrote:
>
> > Jim Henderson wrote:
> >> I think we could probably agree that a watch is unlikely to happen as
> >> the evolution of something geologic,
> >
> > Any particular item is unlikely to happen at all. I don't think it's
> > that far-fetched to believe in something that keeps time based on
> > sunrise, sunset, or tides.
>
> But something that keeps time accurately that you can wear on your
> wrist?  Surely there aren't forests where those sorts of things grow on

> trees. :-)

Hmm. Does it have to be human readable? lol Seriously, there is a fairly
solid theory now that *most* of the behavior of insects is timing based.
That, in essense, they have a lot of internal timers, which do
everything, including providing a basic "clock" for movements, like
flight direction, and that deciding to go left, instead of right, is,
depending on circumstances, either a matter of interrupting the clock,
or random glitches/permutations in the system. It might be a biological
clock, and far more flexible in dealing with the unexpected, but for
insects, there may not be a lot of "mind" there to start with, just a
lot of purely statistical mechanics.

So, the questions really are: 1. Does it have to be human readable? and
2. How accurate do you want it? After that, its just a matter to finding
something, like a leech maybe, that will attach like a parasite, to feed
itself, and whose "clocks" operate to generate some form of visible,
easily read, timing. And, unless you get a mutant, it would probably be
*way* more accurate, even in the dark, than any mechanical clock. ;)

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {
      call slow_by_half();