17 Oct 2024 06:08:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 9 Dec 2007 00:28:15
Message: <MPG.21c52ad93536f0c698a0a2@news.povray.org>
In article <web.475b53d1922777eb4b7adf720@news.povray.org>,
nam### [at] gmailcom says...
> > Show this to a faithful Christian. What is he going to say?  "Gee, mayb
> > Pele really exists, and answers prayers better than JHVH does?" Or is i
> > going to be interpreted as a conspiracy by Satan to lure faithful
> > Christians away from their One True Religion?
>
> there is only one God and through Him all miracles come forth.  He's not
known
> by the same name by the many peoples of Earth.  He's the God of the volca
no, of
> the fire, of the waters and of all that exists in His universe.

Sorry, but I call bullshit. Unless you are so absolutely ignorant of any
and all religions other than your own, which I suspect is likely, that
you don't know how absurd this is, then its ***impossible*** to
reconcile every god that ever existed, and which people claim perform(s)
miracles with the Christian God. If nothing else, the Bible itself makes
it absolutely clear that all those other gods, even if they do perform
them, is *not* the god of the Bible. Mind you, I don't doubt that Jesus,
or his ghost writer, would have wanted to suggest that. It is precisely
what the Romans who adopted the religion **wanted** everyone to think,
so as to more easily remove all the annoying priests that where not
*conveniently* members of their own families. The first Roman family to
officially adopt the religion was the Flavians, and the second official
pope, considered second *only* because he claimed that was made such by
Paul, was *also* a Flavian and a close relative to *ding ding ding*, the
new Emperor, who thought it would be a real neat idea to adopt
Christianity as his families religion. Odd that... lol

These where not stupid people. Most already pretty much concluded that
the Gods where all BS, but that they had to pretend to support the
priests and allow the thousands of temples to flourish, because if they
tried to throw any of them out the people wouldn't stand for it. But,
that meant that a) they had *no* real control over any of them and b)
huge amounts of money they would have loved to get themselves was
disappearing into church coffers. They initially had some success
declaring *themselves* gods, after they noted how well it seemed to work
in Egypt, but then that kind of fell apart when the Egyptians started
bringing in temples for Isis, Ra, etc. as well. How better to kill two
bird with one stone than a) declare a religion that is so new and
relatively unknown to be the true one, assign one of your own family
members to head the local version, set up a council to sort through all
the legends, stories, etc., and find stuff that is useful to you,
convince at least "some" of the Jews you are fighting that Titus Flavius
is the second coming, thus removing *another* problem, blame them for
the death of the savior, so that any still around are hated even more
than before, and so on.

You want to know why Christianity *succeeded*? Because it was the only
one that the Roman Emperors had near absolute control over, undermined
the power and will to fight of those who where, at the time, there worst
enemies, and which, because they controlled it, could be written to
support any idea they wanted. No other religion of the time period was
sufficiently unknown, malleable, and lacking in a powerful, entrenched,
priesthood, which the ruling families couldn't have gotten rid of, or
subverted enough to control them. After all, declaring the emperor a god
didn't get rid of all those other religions. Building a new one, then
later telling people that all the others where false, did. Its certainly
what I might have considered, in their position. Not that it did them
much good, because as soon as the idiots in their own families started
believing the BS they became more concerned with who was committing sins
than maintaining a military or defending their borders, and *poof* no
more empire.

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {