16 Oct 2024 22:16:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 6 Dec 2007 00:09:57
Message: <MPG.21c131eadf126e0198a097@news.povray.org>
In article <475### [at] hotmailcom>, a_l### [at] hotmailcom
says...
> Mine wasn't a definition. It was a procedure to arrive at a set of
> morals. If you follow ethics through the ages you will see that in most

> cases ethics are passed down from one generation to another with or
> without minor changes. There are however discontinuities as a result of

> people (prophets) that follow my recipe.

Then, you just described precisely one of the biggest problems with
religions. You need to have *personal* definitions and *logical*
constructs to derive real ethics. Ethics that are passed down merely as
traditions can perpetuate injustice, immorality, etc., by any definition
that those who question would, in general, come up with. And that is
precisely what often happened. The people willing to question found
themselves invariably asking *if* the ethics they where taught made
sense in the context they where told to apply them, or even if they ever
did. The truly cynical ones invariably didn't live long, because they
had a bad habit of pointing out that just arbitrary, non-rational,
definitions invariably helped those that *taught them* than the people
that where supposed to follow them.

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {