16 Oct 2024 16:48:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 4 Dec 2007 22:39:39
Message: <MPG.21bfc97837c318ca98a091@news.povray.org>
In article <4754d57a$1@news.povray.org>, dne### [at] sanrrcom says...
> Tim Cook wrote:
> > Darren New wrote:
> >> I thought that was the point of religion, yes? If you actually start

> >> talking about *why* one set of morals is better than another, then
> >> you're not longer talking about religion, but science. I have no bones

> >> to pick with that approach.
> >
> > Ethics is not science.
>
> Actually, to clarify, what I was talking about was science. If you ask
> why certain morals are better than others, you can actually make
> hypotheses and measure it.
>
> You can say "Greed is better than altruism, because it creates more
> wealth". Or "altruism is better than greed, because it distributes
> wealth better."
>
> What one has to take on "faith" is that happiness is a good thing, i.e.,

> that there's an actual ability to measure which morals result in
> "better" outcomes than others. Even this, however, can be debated, since

> obviously some people will say "obedience to God's will is far more
> important than life or happiness."
>
> So in that sense, yes, it's not scientific. But then, science doesn't
> answer *why* elementary particles can have half-spin values also. :-)

Some one did some studies on the subject about happiness, using
psychological definitions of what qualified, and came to the conclusion
that once people where clothed, feed and sufficiently protected from the
weather, there was **no** measurable difference in "happiness" between
one group and another, but that having more money didn't necessarily
generate *greater* happiness. So, its been scientifically tested, though
one might argue about their definitions of "happy". Though, one might
thus argue that talking about happiness is far less relevant than many
other factors, since it seems more or less unaffected by "most", if not
all, of those other factors. As for the later one, which god, what is
obedience, and how do you prove its important at all, let alone "more"
important. Once again, when you start digging into their arguments, the
assertions made assume, or declare, things that are fundamentally
undefinable, in any useful context, and thus also untestable.

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {
      call slow_by_half();