16 Oct 2024 16:48:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 4 Dec 2007 22:17:13
Message: <MPG.21bfc5f65d5cbf4398a08e@news.povray.org>
In article <475### [at] hotmailcom>, a_l### [at] hotmailcom
says...
> Sabrina Kilian wrote:
> > Patrick Elliott wrote:
> >> In article <4753d58b@news.povray.org>, Sabrina Kilian <"ykgp at
> >> vtSPAM.edu"> says...
> >>>
> >> Just for the sake of argument, show me any case where blind faith that

> >> something is true has every turned out to be right,
> >
> > That I like pizza and* sushi, but not both at the same time. I've never
> > actually tried both at once, but I'm pretty willing to bet that I would
> > not enjoy it.
> >
> > *technically, xor. But this is the English language.
> >
> >> save by pure
> >> accident, and more to the point, how any other case has *not* been bas
ed
> >> on seeing evidence, forming a theory based on that evidence, and then

> >> testing, in some fashion, if that conclusion was *actually* correct, o
> >> needed modification... We start out with science, experimenting with o
ur
> >> world and figuring out what works and doesn't work, and forming
> >> **justified** opinions about why and how. Then, about the point where
we
> >> start talking people start telling us that some things are better
> >> explained by the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus and Jesus. I can't imagine

> >> *why* atheists would think scientific thinking was the corner stone of

> >> rational thought... Snort!
> Patrick, you completely lost me there.

How so. Its basic cognitive development. We start out trying to touch
everything, to figure out what it is, and how to use our limbs. We then
progress to levels of understanding of complex associations, like that
an object is the "same" object if it passes behind something, and that
it didn't just teleport to get there. And so on. Nothing we do, unless
we just blindly accept it from someone else's statements, is derived in
any other way than via trying it, figuring out if it worked, then
explaining why based on a) observation of the result and b) past
experiments.

Faith derails this, in that it insists that a thing it true, just
because someone *says* so. The only faith in science might be that you
could, if you had the right tools, test anything it claims, and see if
it *does* work as advertised. But, that isn't "blind faith", its
justified faith. Religions tend to reject the later, and insist that the
former is not only the only *true* means to enlightenment, but that
blind faith is automatically more trust worthy.

Your pizza example isn't really valid, since I am sure you have
justifications for thinking that you wouldn't like the combination, so
its not *blind* in any shape or form, its based on past experience and a
projection of the likely outcome. Blind faith tells you what an outcome
*must* be, then demands that you not only reject evidence of the
contrary position, but also implies that the very idea that you might
test it, or seek evidence is invalid, by definition, since it would no
longer, at that point, be *blind*.

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {