16 Oct 2024 10:14:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 3 Dec 2007 20:41:27
Message: <MPG.21be5e034a75ca0498a085@news.povray.org>
In article <4752219e$1@news.povray.org>, dne### [at] sanrrcom says...
> Warp wrote:
> >   Let's approach it from yet another angle: Another commandment says
> > that you must respect your parents. Yet if your father commits a horrib
le
> > crime should you respect him or should you report it to the authorities
?
> > Even though the answer is the latter, that doesn't make the commandment
> > any less relevant.
>
> You're presuming that the answer is the latter, tho. How does one know?

> Is it because one's religion told you so? Or is it because one has been

> taught it's really the right thing, and then one adds non-existent
> exceptions to the rule to adjust the religion to match the existent
> morality?
>
> If the latter, it's nonsensical to say that religious people are more
> moral or kinder or whatever than areligious people.

And of course, the single biggest problem is its them saying that, and
then insisting that because its true, everyone else's morality is either
a) inferior, even if it appears superior, or b) non-existent, since any
act that appears to be equal or superior to their is either mimicry, or
derived from God anyway, in which case the person in question just isn't
being honest about *where* its coming from.

If an absurd rationalization exists for why their tendency to seem
immoral, unethical, actively evil, or just blind to the harm they cause
exists, someone, some place, and used it to try to explain why the
observer has it all wrong and it *was* moral, ethical, good and or
harmless. But trying to point out why none of the rationalizations make
sense will cause you to spend time in a rubber room from trying "long"
before they will ever see the inside of one.

I like this, which shows just how far back "some" people where looking
at the whole mess and going, "Does this really make any bloody sense?":

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2007/12/02/winning_athiests.jpg

--
void main () {

    if version = "Vista" {