12 Oct 2024 11:20:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 19 Nov 2007 20:40:30
Message: <MPG.21abe8a1907fcdd198a07e@news.povray.org>
In article <47422be6@news.povray.org>, war### [at] tagpovrayorg says...
> Ross <rli### [at] speakeasynet> wrote:
> > Warp hates the mocking and has yet to offer a viable option to it other
 than
> > "Continue to try to convince by presenting the facts." Yet this has fai
led,
> > and failed, and failed. Rather than continue the insanity loop, what sh
ould
> > one do?
>
>   Are you saying that making fun of other people is a viable and acceptab
le
> solution?

Well... Lets put it this way. If you know that the odds of doing
nothing, or doing the same things you have done all along, having an
impact is 0%, then if there is even a 1% chance that mocking someone
would work instead, why not do it? Mind you, a valid alternative would
be a lot nicer, like better education. However, we are living in a world
where some moron can spend $30 billion to send troops to a country they
don't belong in, *and* screw up the entire plan while there, but will
then veto a bill adding $1 billion in funding to the NIH, to help find
cures for things like cancer (and in this case also torpedo a bill that
would have **required** all research published in various journals to be
released to the public via PubMed within two years of publication,
instead of burying it on some research labs basement, where 50 people on
the verge of curing some disease might not see it for 20 years, if ever.
A tiny fraction of the research we do in this country is available via
PubMed, and its the ***most*** important source of data on existing
research and discoveries for 90% of all doctors and researchers in the
US, and much of the rest of the western world. His reason? Because he
couldn't allow congress to go on a "spending spree"... And he had his
own rider on there too, which got vetoed with it. Something involving
faith based medical programs, or some similar BS.

When the nuts that won't listen to facts, reason, etc. **are** actively
trying to pull the rug out from under your feet, you have to do
something. If you are not allowed to get pissed off and shoot them, they
won't see "any" reason, and your lack of effect/response is seen as
defense of the idea that they **might** actually be right, damn right
its reasonable to instead get people to laugh at them. You can't make
them uncomfortable by calling them fools, since they will just shout the
same accusation back. But if even a small percentage of people are
actively pointing out how much they look like the village idiot, some of
them *might* be embarrassed enough by the association to question their
perspective.

This does not, by any means, suggest that "everyone" should do so, or
that we should all give up on every other path. That wouldn't work
either. If you want to prove that someone is the village idiot, you have
to point out what *not* being the village idiot means, and that takes
all those things that mostly don't work on these people. Fact is, its
not the people that have had an ethical, social and logical lobotomy
such joking and farce is targeted at. Its the guy that doesn't know a
damn thing about the subject, and might have reacted to us treating
these people like they are honest challengers, instead of a bloody clown
car full of circus performers, as a sign that *both* sides actually have
valid arguments. Right now, in this country, you won't get shot for
showing a picture of Jesus holding a machine gun, the way you will if
you did the same with Mohammad in the ME, but just try to go on the TV,
on *any* news show, on *any* network, or write a book, or film a
documentary, or do "anything" that tries to suggest that one side has no
answers, while the other has, at least, most of them, and watch them a)
edit it to look like the other side has an equally valid argument, write
a review of your book calling it all nonsense, then presenting the
"other" side as if its all truthful, refuse to show your documentary at
all, and or send you masses of hate mail, death threats and talk at
length about you on their televangelist programs, saying that you are
the worst thing since the anti-christ. And watch as the **only** people
that actively defend you against this BS are other people who received
the same treatment.

Its not possible in this environment to get anything in the news or news
papers, without some idiot thinking *equal time* has to be given to some
nut case that knows nothing about the subject at all, and does nothing
but complain about how some crazy strawman version of your views is the
cause of everything from the fall or western civilization to graphetti
and AIDS. And in some papers/news programs, no one is either allowed,
given the opportunity to, and/or bothers to refute any of it. But, such
people are not only allowed to, but actually paid and encouraged, to do
precisely what you think we shouldn't, make scientists look like idiots
and buffoons. And they have been doing that for at least 40 years. In
the 1950s, you might have seen a lot of literature, comics and TV about
mad scientists and the risks of abusing knowledge, but science was
*respected* and not at least pretending to comprehend some of it was a
sign of brain damage (or nearly so), now the trend has been reversed in
some segments of the population, and groups like DI are *actively*
trying to replace science and *any* material explanation for the world,
with faith and magic.

I just don't get why you think they should be allowed to make any idiot
argument they like, be impervious to "any" argument, and continue to use
our *fair* treatment of them as evidence of their supposed "superior"
position, instead of us, for once, being decidedly unfair, and **very**
clear exactly how nuts we think they actually are. Since they will hate
us anyway, it doesn't matter if they like us less after laughing our
asses off at them than before, back when we acted like they where worth
taking seriously in the first place, and lended them unjustified
credibility by doing so.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()