12 Oct 2024 11:19:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 19 Nov 2007 19:59:14
Message: <MPG.21abdf491d0cbb6698a07c@news.povray.org>
In article <47415705@news.povray.org>, war### [at] tagpovrayorg says...
> Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailisthebestcom> wrote:
> > Are you *still* thinking Warp was arguing against evolution?
>
>   In that post he answered I was certainly not. The only thing I did was
> to question the notion of evidence being proof (of anything in general).
>
>   He proceeded to write a lengthy novel about evidence pro evolution,
> which is not what I was talking about, so he seems to think that I was
> saying "evolution is not true". Whatever.

Oh, gosh, sorry. Assuming that you might still be on about the thing
that 90% of the entire thread was about was obviously completely silly
of me. Or even trying to use an explanation of some things you might not
know about it, to show how sometimes the gaps people complain about are
not a big, or may not even exist, at least in the sense they talk about
them.

As for questioning whether evidence constitutes truth. I supposed you
have to come up with some definition for "truth" specific to how and who
uses it. The dictionary definitions would tend to imply that a thing be
true, just because its true. In the real world **nothing** works like
that, not even the assertions made by the kinds of people making
statements like, "Its absolutely true that Shiva exists." At some point
someone is going to ask the rather embarrassing questions, "How do you
know?", or, "What evidence do you have?" You are then stuck with either
a) just killing the stupid fool that asked the question, or backing it
with "some sort" of evidence. The questioner has to then make either a
qualitative, a quantitative, or both, judgment about the veracity of
that evidence. Most people don't know the difference between an allele
and and Aunt Lelle, so make a purely quantitative judgment. Some make
bullshit qualitative judgments, based solely on what they *want* to be
true. ID tries to claim that *both* are valid by first insisting that
you only get to be called a true believer *if* you agree with them, then
making the even more stupid claim that being that "true" believers
believe it, the fact that all true believers do believe it, and there
are millions of them, means a damn thing either. So what. Lots of stupid
stuff lots of people believed, and it didn't matter how *true* they
where to that belief, they where still wrong, and better evidence proved
it.

So, what does truth mean precisely? For most people *true* means that
their belief and/or acceptance of it is based on what **they** consider
reasonable qualitative and quantitative evidence. We saw in the Dover
trial what *scientists* consider quantitative and qualitative evidence,
thousands of papers, all supporting each others and prior conclusions,
based on decades of people actually asking questions and looking for
answers by doing research to test their theories. Ken Ham's museum is
base on the *other* sides idea of what qualifies as "quantitative and
qualitative": assertions that the other sides version can't be true,
complaints about stuff they don't understand, references to the
authority of scripture that the vast majority of Christians don't take
literally, declarations that **those** people, unlike the small minority
that do take it literally, can't be Christians, and lots and lots of
claims that any day now they will pull *research* out of their ass that
tests a hypothesis that even they say a) doesn't need to be tested,
because, "qed: its the truth", and which they can't even describe
*anything* about sufficiently to invent any sort of test of it. Their
sole line of "research" is entirely based on coming up with an endless
stream of questions they don't think scientists can answer, ignoring the
answers, and asking the same questions again, while *once in a while*
coming up with yet another mechanism or body part that they can call
"irreducible", as though proving that *anything* can't be proven
sufficiently by evolution automatically means their own hypothesis wins
by default, instead of dozens of other similar ones, most of which are
just as nonreligious as evolution.

In other words, you have scientist saying, "There is no valid grounds at
this point to deny that evolution, by any reasonable definition, is
**true**, even if some parts of it are still uncertain.", and a lot of
goobers whining about how if "any" part of it is ever not explainable,
they win, and calling their constant stream of pseudoscience and
debunked questions "research". This is what *they* think is truth, "If
we defeat the great monster we don't like, then everything we believe
must, automatically, by default, be true, evidence be damned, and so
will all the stupid fools that show up asking for things like facts,
evidence or, you know, lab work, to prove we asking tested anything."

I am not sure what your definition of truth is, but if it comes even
close to what these people are using, you have a huge problem. If its
**at all** based on something closer to the scientific definition, then
your only problem is that you are even less qualified than I am to
complain about them using it (being as I actually understand some of the
stuff you don't get about the subject).

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()