12 Oct 2024 05:09:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 18 Nov 2007 21:06:03
Message: <MPG.21aa9d40c20232a398a07b@news.povray.org>
In article <473fc549@news.povray.org>, war### [at] tagpovrayorg says...
> andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > The physiology is so mind boggling similar that the only explanation is

> > a common descent.
>
>   "I can't think of any other explanation" is no proof. Really strong
> evidence yes, but no proof.

Congratulations, you just described why we consider ***every***
scientific theory ever devised to be the best explanation for the data.
Now, if you could just get past that and recognize that there are a huge
number of theories that you are not complaining about which have similar
"gaps" and are actually "less" well understood and/or explained than
evolution, we might get some place useful.

And just to be clear, its not just huge similarity, its huge similarity
with, in some cases, identical genes. This doesn't make sense without
common descent, because in many cases a gene that does X in a whole mass
of species like apes is **not** identical in birds, and yet, you can
place the human gene into the bird, or the bird gene into a human (well,
and chimp or the like, since doing it to a human wouldn't be ethical),
and they would still work. This means that the two genes where **once**
the same, and the mechanisms they interact with are common to both, but
that they differ due to which branch of the tree they are in. Now, you
might try to argue that this would make sense, since they exist in
morphologically similar species. You would be right, if the genes in
question had anything **at all** to do with morphology. Its even more
absurd an argument when you find it in species that are known to be
related via those genes, but which are not at all similar to each other,
like say a crocodile and an emu, or something. Why would they both share
a common gene? And even worse when you can trace the steps that the
genes went through to get from one form to the other, or from an earlier
form to both of the new ones.

All the evidence points in one direction and one direction only, so the
only thing the people that question it have is complaints about stuff
they don't understand in the first place, or assertions that its all
some coincidence. Until/unless some evidence shows up that starts to
suggest the later though, like entire sets of genes showing up in two
completely different species, with no possible means they could have
both derived them from an earlier common version, or two identical sets
(rather than single genes, which sometimes can show up in two dissimilar
species), with no common ancestor that "could" have shared them, its
going to continue to point in only one direction. And by entire sets, I
mean like finding dogs that inexplicably starts growing feathers, which
have a great number of changes in the coding for them from hair, and no
virus or other mechanism that contains the same genes, can infect both
birds and dogs, and can reasonably explain the sudden appearance of the
trait.

Put simply, when every change you find is the equivalent of a lot of
tiny single letter on a page, and you don't see entire paragraphs or
chapters appearing out of no place, and you "do" see the same single
letter changes in all closely similar species, its kind of hard to argue
that the only explanation is that something came along and changed
"huge" numbers of genes to get the results. Case in point, it was once
thought that chimps and humans where only 90% similar genetically, then
they changed that to 98%, they now think its closer to 99%, and
virtually ****every single**** difference they have found that counts is
nothing but developmental changes. I.e., when certain genes turn off and
on. There are some differences, like a single chemical change to one
gene that exists in ***every species*** from birds, to reptiles, to
mammals, etc. There are only a handful of species that have this tiny
mutation. One is humans, while most of the others are parrots. What does
it code for? They suspect, since it changes the development of neural
pathway development for sounds, it codes for something humans and
parrots have in common, and all others, including chimps, lack, the
capacity to use symbolic logic. Parrots can do it, chimps can't, which
is why chimps can learn what words "mean", but have no capacity to
invent new ones, while parrots have shown the ability to take existing
words and combine them into new ones, which describe new things that
they never encountered before.

And again, its a change or *one single* chemical, not some huge chain of
things, like needed to grow a fin instead of a hand.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else