11 Oct 2024 15:19:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 16 Nov 2007 13:59:39
Message: <MPG.21a7963c136d02d698a06b@news.povray.org>
In article <473dda5c$1@news.povray.org>, dne### [at] sanrrcom says...
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
> > Wouldn't that be, "Why it doesn't make sense to doubt it?"
>
> Yah. Forgive me. I've been ill. :-)
>
> > this guy makes some common mistakes. First one is suggesting that their

> > are some huge number of *possible* combinations that would work. Really
?
> > How does he determine this?
>
> Actually, I read somewhere that someone had figured out (well after that

> article was written) that there are something like 12 different
> isomorphic ways you can arrange the codons to do the same job. So
> instead of 41^22! or whatever it was, there were at least 12. :-)
>
> > do anything at all, such as INC X followed immediately by DEC X.
>
> That's a completely different point. That just means there are genes
> that don't code for anything. He's assuming that there's no good reason

> for the bit patterns in the instruction set to be arranged in any given

> pattern for a particular instruction.
>
> > But none of that really matters, since the article says *nothing* about

> > the likelihood of macro vs. micro,
>
> So here's the question: What is "macro vs micro"?  How do you know when

> you have "macro" evolution? What makes something of two "kinds"?
>
> I suspect you'll wind up coming up with a tautologically false answer,
> if you want to invent something that hasn't been observed.

Well, strictly speaking "kind" is a word the Creationists came up with,
which is entirely meaningless. They place species that **can't** breed
at all in the same "kinds", including the donkey/mule/horse version,
which can breed, but produce the third on in that list as a sterile
result. The correct term "Species" means it cannot breed at all. This
has recently gotten a bit fuzzier, since you obviously can breed most
cats, even though they are recognized as different species. Likely we
need a subcategory for those, instead of using species. But, even with
cats you do also get things like Ligers, which are sterile about 50% of
the time, so Tigers and Lions have diverged enough to *almost* be two
distinct "kinds" in the parlance of these nitwits.

Basically, science's distinction is that, sure, you can get 5 million
different sorts of birds from one proto bird, but 99.9% of them can't
breed with each other, so they have become different species. The ID
version of this would be, there are 5 million different kinds of birds,
all from some proto bird, but they are all the same "kind". They gloss
over the fact that you can't breed them, so they don't have to admit
that they are different species. Point it out to them and they back
peddle and claim it all happened in a few hundred years after the flood
(since all those different birds(not to mention other animal) would have
had to exist **immediately** after the flood ended to explain how many
people saw them over 5,000 years ago.) It just doesn't work at all. And
that is the main problem here. They **literally** want evolution to mean
that tomarrow your dog will give birth to an elephant, never mind the
fact that it doesn't work that way, and if it did, it **would** imply
intervention.

> > There is nothing in there that would suggest denial of common descent o
> > macro evolution.
>
> Sorry. I meant it as an explanation of evidence in favor of common
> descent, regardless of how I misworded the original statement.

Ah, ok. Kind of confusing there.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()