POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Status of Moray? : Re: New SDL for POVRay Server Time
29 Apr 2024 01:44:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New SDL for POVRay
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 1 Nov 2007 15:28:29
Message: <MPG.2193e4aba5bd2b0598a061@news.povray.org>
In article <472983db$1@news.povray.org>, tho### [at] trfde says...
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
> > And last time, arrays are not the
> > same things as tables. An array contains only data, a table has indexes
,
> > so you can look things up by the index (and no, I don't mean a
> > *numerical* index). In a table, you can place everything for "leg" unde
> > an index of "leg", not as array(1,n).
>
> A statement by which you just disqualified yourself ... a table in a
> database has nothing to do with this argument. You are using terminology
> from a completely different and unrelated field. A mathematical table is
the
> equivalent of an array in a programming language, which does fit the cont
ext
> of this "discussion".
>
> 	Thorsten

No, I am referring to tables in the sense that something like Lua uses
them. Its not a completely unrelated field, since I am talking about how
the data is stored and used, not **what** you do with it. A
mathematically array is **not** the only kind of table programming
languages support, and its hardly the most useful one, when dealing with
complex data types. Mind you, if the only kind of table you have used in
a programming language is a numerically indexed array, or mathematical
table, which is in fact what "most" of them support exclusively, its not
a surprise you think I am talking about something irrelevant to the
discussion.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()