POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Status of Moray? : Re: New SDL for POVRay Server Time
14 May 2024 04:40:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New SDL for POVRay
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 28 Oct 2007 16:09:36
Message: <MPG.218ea85571d574c598a05c@news.povray.org>
In article <4723f102@news.povray.org>, war### [at] tagpovrayorg says...
> Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] rraznet> wrote:
> > Yes, we are talking about percentages here, but those can matter,
>
>   What's so hard to understand in the concept that applying transformatio
ns
> to objects is in no way the slowest step in the parsing process? Using yo
ur
> transformation tables will *not* speed up parsing, not in any relevant wa
y.
> Using speed as an argument to support your idea is simply flawed.

And what part of, "Its not the applying of them that is the issue, its
how you get the data read/parsed to do it.", are you missing?

And I am not using speed as support for my idea. I think the idea is
still good on its own merits, since otherwise you have to write your own
way to do it, and most of the people trying to do stuff in POVRay are
***not*** going to be interested in reinventing this same wheel over and
over again. Putting it in a plugin is possible, yes, but **only** if the
framework is available to allow for it in the first place. A framework
that only allows you to add new tokens, as it where, for new functions,
but which can't handle something like this **won't** do it. I thought
about it, and it just won't work, not without having to add a command
word to every level of a compound object you want to use it on, which is
imho damn stupid, if there is a better way.

I covered the point of if the idea was useful already, and whether you
fracking agree or not, I instead opted to talk about the logistics of
implementation and the likely issues that could pop up as a result of
it. Your idea, that you explicitly tell it to apply a transform (or even
a table of them) every damn time is programically complex, unnecessary
if the framework exists to do it my way, and divorces the data from the
object in a way I personally don't like much. Its not functionally
equivalent, since yours is explicit, mine is implicit, even if on the
deeper level some of the code is necessarily similar.

And again, the point is, how would you implement it. Which method
**would** be faster, when you want to use predefined transforms, where
you have no plans to change the number, type or any major features of
those things. Whether or not you think its a good idea has jack to do
with how you would implement it, if it was used, which is what nearly
the entire prior post was about.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()