POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Conversion : Re: Conversion Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:22:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Conversion
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 24 Aug 2007 01:08:50
Message: <MPG.213815cbe723043398a02b@news.povray.org>
In article <web.46cddff26dc602ea47d3ae5e0@news.povray.org>,
gee### [at] mailnu says...
> Well, what can I say. I'm starting to understand and I agree.
>
> But I dont "expect" anything, I was just wondering how things worked. All
> users are not skilled programmers or patch-makers that knows what makes t
he
> clock tick. There are many advantages with POV-Ray, but what I miss is a
way
> of sharing the created models to other platforms or for use in applicatio
ns.
> The greatness of POV-Ray itself doesnt change that, me now knowing that i
> is virtually impossible doesnt change it either.
>
> But Im happy the rules for shaping 3d scenes are similar in the ground no
> matter the platform, and that POV-Ray has given me a understaning of that
> as well.

I have, for some time, been rather annoyed by some limitations too. I
recognize that POV-Ray is superior in a lot of ways. I also recognize
that even when superior, there are some things that are complex,
problematic and easier to do by using the *cheats* some other programs
use, like subsurface scattering stuff, which makes skin look like real
skin. Doing it the "right" way requires very nearly replicating the
entire skeleton, fat layers, veins, subskin, etc. Well, not quite, but
he more layers of "real" materials you add, the more accurate the
result, you can't just "paint" approximations of the layers, then tell
the problem to treat them as though they are at X depth, with some
volumetrics or other tricks to make it look like the veins are 3D, when
they are just painted. Some things are actually easier with scanline.

And for editors, the *best* is still probably Moray, but Moray never did
have full *native* support for all features, correct coordinates for
what the engine defaults to, mesh editing, or other needed things.
Worse, until recently it didn't have even halfway decent approximations
of the solid geometry, and while it does now do "some" of that right, it
doesn't do all of it, lacking means to do difference an other tricks
correctly.

We have imho needed something like the up and coming 4.0 for some time,
if for no other reason that, without the underlying code being open less
restricted, there is no real way to even try to fix these issues. I can
easily imagine a program that has the edit window, display window(s)
*and* true GUI object modeling features, not just a raw engine under
Linux, or a text editor and engine on Windows, and an incomplete GUI
editor, also only for windows. There is a huge gap. Its not an
uncrossable one, but it requires that we have permission to do things
with the code that we can't do more than wish for right now imho.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else