POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Vista and POV-Ray : Re: Vista and POV-Ray Server Time
1 Jun 2024 10:24:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vista and POV-Ray
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 6 Jun 2007 23:19:34
Message: <MPG.20d1270e4f712c6b98a00f@news.povray.org>
In article <web.466561d8892b732026d840430@news.povray.org>,
nomail@nomail says...
> Hi Carl,
>
> I have found the same problem in my vista system. Vista by default protec
ts
> everything in the program files folder from being changed. The solution i
> to copy the .ini file out of the program files directory, save it and cop
> it back. It will ask permission to copy the file but after then it should
> work fine.

Good idea to watch out of an even dumber behavior. I recently installed
Neverwinter II. It saves game data, like saves, in .DAT files **in your
user profile areas**. Not a big deal, except that Windows "cleanup"
feature for recovering space sees .dat, leaps to the conclusion its some
sort of temp file for an installer, and wipes all your save files out of
existence. A problem that would have never come up, if I had a)
remembered to change the location where those files get saved to the
"larger" partition, or b) had the fracking option to tell Windows when I
installed it, to put them there in the first place. I mean, what nimrod,
other than Windows developers, puts *user data* in the same fracking
partition as the main OS, boot loader and every other component that you
need to upgrade regularly, may need to be reinstalled, and is most
likely to get infected, deleted, mangled or just filled up, until your
don't have any space left to put anything any more?

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else