POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : PNG output much brighter than preview... : Re: PNG output much brighter than preview... Server Time
29 Apr 2024 10:30:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PNG output much brighter than preview...
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 16 Jan 2007 22:21:27
Message: <MPG.2017440c7104752e989fd3@news.povray.org>
In article <45abea7f@news.povray.org>, war### [at] tagpovrayorg says...
>   In my personal experience the least problematic course of action is
> to not to include any gamma info in the png file. While that will not
> guarantee anything (some programs may start "guessing" a gamma info
> for it even if you don't want it to), I think most programs will then
> just take the pixels as they are, in the same way is with any other
> image format.

Actually.. A real good, if only slightly related, issue that can
demonstrate the problem is games like Myst. This is where the, "looks as
it should, not the color I said", issue becomes a *major* issue. Myst
was originally made on the Mac, it was then ported to Windows. Due to
the way the displays handled color, the only way to **see** every detail
was to either increase the graphics card gamma (not available at the
time) **or** increase the brightness of the display. Its even part of
the standard install for some such games that you have a "settings"
page, where you adjust the brightness up to compensate for the fact that
the displays default, which looks good for ***Everything else***, will
show all the color detail for the game. Gamma on the card works to, but
can be useless, depending on how the card does it, because some cards
don't increase the outputs, they just bleach the images by increasing
the color values.

Nearly all games use Gamma now *period*, generally through the card,
because the system they "started on" didn't use the same display gamma
as the final machine they end up on. That can be due to everything from
the type of display, the OS, the graphics card, or just how someone had
to compensate for a game that didn't use it, do that *that* game would
appear as intended. And for some like the Myst series, just seeing a
switch or a critical object in a dark tunnel **requires** that the
display is accurate to what the production machine used to make them
are. Now.. For 90% of us, still images are not a problem. We don't do
dark rooms with lots of subtle details. If a tiny bit gets blured into
the background, we don't care. But.. There have been cases in
*professional* business where someone has sent an image in the wrong
Gamma, only to have the client reject it, because they couldn't *see*
the details on their system. Gamma is supposed to correct this. If done
right, its supposed to correct it via hardware, so that colors don't
bleach in the high end, or blur into the dark areas, for lower intensity
colors. Unfortunately... Most application don't use hardware gamma,
so... And the ones that do use Gamma at all get people mad, because they
don't bother getting the settings right on their end in the first place,
so the image comes out wrong in the first place.

Imho, two things are really needed to correct this. 1. Proper use of
Gamma in all applications. 2. Displays that can ID their "current"
gamma, so that the software can correct for what the display is actually
showing, not what some tech either a) failed to set correctly, or b) set
wrong. The closest they have right now is color correction data, like
for mine, which "assume" that you are using the display in its factory
defaults for color intensity and that the software is *asking* the OS
what the color profile is for that display, so that corrections can be
made, in theory, for not just the brightness, but also for difference in
actual color values. I have yet to see any example of that happening
though.

Basically, its a great idea, if people @$$@#$ used it right, the
hardware was smarter and you could find some way to take idi... people
out of the equation. lol

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()