POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : --- : Re: Liscense Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:28:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Liscense
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 11 Dec 2006 16:54:06
Message: <MPG.1fe77c771a4a95e989fbc@news.povray.org>
In article <elgnme$uu5$1@chho.imagico.de>, chr### [at] gmxde says...
> JohnnyL wrote:
> > Can a programmer distribute this product (povray)
> > with a seperate project that explains it uses povray to generate pictur
es
> > (like logo) and not make money off it?
> > Is it legal?
>
> Unless POV-Ray is just an optional inclosure to your product (see
> distribution license 4.1.d.i-ii) you need to obtain a written permission

> by the POV-Team.  You can use the email address given in the license
> text to make such an inquiry.
>
> The purpose of these regulation is to ensure the users of such a product

> are prominently made aware that POV-Ray is included with the product,
> provides parts of its functionality and is available for free.
>
> Christoph

This one does bug me a tad. If you completely redid POV-Ray to make it
an includable library, which had its "own" render window that "must" be
used as the installed component, "can't" be hidden by the developer and
which, as part of its initialization, automatically displayed a test
render and a scrollable disclaimer, including a statement that this is
not an original, etc., etc., would that "cover" the requirement?

The limitations of the current implementation make integration iffy, use
frustrating and the results less than exciting. Its probably actually
easier, if you know the math, to code a look alike product, than use
POV-Ray as part of any sort of package, optional or not. And its
certainly not too helpful in cases where removing it "would" break the
product. Then again, trying to use Moray with "anything" other than POV-
Ray would break that too. Its only "how" they integrate that is the
issue and how easily some change in the interface that "does" exist can
break it that effects the rules. And, given how easy it was to break
compatibility between Moray and the latest POV-Ray version, this is
hardly a crowning achievement of POV-Ray development. lol

I mean, why "can't" you adjust the design for a specific task, making
clear that this is "not" the original, as long as it still does what is
needed to comply with all the notices. Is it only the presumption that
any closer integration *can't* comply? All that's needed is something in
the dialog function that makes it "ignore" or "reset" any attempt to
change its "visible" property, until "after" a certain amount of time
has passed or someone has scrolled through the disclaimers and clicked
"OK". Same result as having it 100% external and throwing yet another
application window over the top of everything when it starts. And again,
if the point is to prevent people making POV-Ray a "dependent" part of
their own application that is manditory, Moray is already basically
breaking that rule as would any GUI modeler that only exports to and
uses POV-Ray as its target renderer.

Point is, does the anti-library issue make sense, if sufficient
requirements exist, to make sure that the "rest" is adhered to? Last
time I sort of asked this the answer was an unsatisfactory, "No you
can't do that because it 'would' somehow break the disclaimer
requirements..." I don't get why that "must" be true at all. Non-
conformity is non-conformity, regardless of if some clown creates a
library version then doesn't show any of that or they code some hacks
into their own application like to do it:

run "povray"
a= findwindow "povray"
setwindowposition "a",nonvisible & minimized

They are still breaking the rules, no matter "how" they hide it. Why is
hiding the whole thing with a hack "less" egregious than making it more
integratable and failing to include a way to show the needed information
in their own application? The argument against library design is just
one of, "Its easier for someone to cheat.", not one of, "This way people
can't cheat.", so I just don't get why its more of a problem. Hell, if
anything, I could create the above hack in five minutes and have it
working, compared to the days it would take to do what a lot of people
would like to be able to.

Anyway. Hope you really think about what I am saying here and don't just
come back with the usual, "You just can't do it 'period'.", argument. :p

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else