POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Media singularity : Re: Media singularity Server Time
2 Aug 2024 00:19:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media singularity
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 18 Feb 2005 15:09:32
Message: <MPG.1c7f25bd6d3ef93b989d07@news.povray.org>
In article <Rgk### [at] econymdemoncouk>,
nos### [at] econymdemoncouk says...
> Yes. It's more complicated than I thought.
>
> The effect doesn't appear when using a box, but it does appear when
> using "difference {  plane {y, -5}  plane {y, -1000}" when the lower
> plane is sufficiently distant. When using this difference, the sphere
> can be replaced with "background {rgb 1}" and the effect remains exactly
> the same.

Yeah.. This:

//POV-Ray 3.6.1.icl8.win32

global_settings {
  assumed_gamma 1
  max_trace_level 170

  radiosity {
    pretrace_start 0.08
    pretrace_end   0.04
    recursion_limit 1
    low_error_factor 0.5
    minimum_reuse 0.015
    adc_bailout 0.01/2
    media on
  }
}

camera {
   location  <6, 8, 10>
   up        <0, 1, 0>
   right     <1, 0, 0>
   look_at   <0, -1, 0>
}

#declare fsqr = function(a) {a*a}

plane {
  y, -5
  hollow

  pigment { rgbf 1 }
  finish { diffuse 0
           ambient 0 }

  interior{
   media{
    intervals 20
    emission 0.09
    scattering { 4, 1 }
    density{
     function { fsqr(sin(x/4)*sin(y/4)*sin(z/4)) }
    }
   }
  }
}

plane {
  y, -100
  hollow
  pigment {rgbf 1}
  inverse
}

Probably comes a lot closer to what it 'should' look like. It still gets
artifacts if the second place is at -200, so you may have been partly
right, or maybe completely, I didn't let the previous 'working' version
with the sphere finish so can't compare them. Likely the light bounces
around so make times that anything 'thinker' than about 100 units
generates artifacts. Probably an effect of trace level or some other
setting, though increasing it to 'fix' the problem would slow the media
down even more. The artifacts this produces btw are very different when
you place the second plane at -15000, where the sphere limit would have
been, but with some similarities, so the 'shape' does effect the
artifacts when they do appear.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()