POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Media singularity : Re: Media singularity Server Time
2 Aug 2024 00:13:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media singularity
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 17 Feb 2005 22:23:05
Message: <MPG.1c7f0d25885a1fa2989d06@news.povray.org>
In article <Av7### [at] econymdemoncouk>,
nos### [at] econymdemoncouk says...
> If you replace the "plane {y,-5" with a box of finite thickness,
> something like "box {<-1000,-1000,-1000><1000,-5,1000>" the chaotic
> effect goes away.

Though.. Technically, it isn't infinite, the plane bisects a sphere, so
the media is actually contained in that. Reducing the size of the sphere
to 10000 still produces the same oddities, though with some faint white
streaks in it, like the edges of ripples. 5000 and the whole thing starts
to get murky and darker, but the pattern never disappears and it starts
to look like some odd thing floating inside the media. I need a faster
computer.. lol But seriously, it doesn't seem to be a result of the
ambient on the sphere either... This is really odd.

Hmm.. It gets less visible at a sphere size of 2000 and pretty much
vanishes, (in the sense that it is no longer a 'sharp edged' pattern), at
1000, though the resulting pattern is still showing complex oddities. It
is nothing like what a box produces. This definitely seems to be
*entirely* related to the choice of using a sphere and a plane to create
a container for the media. Definitely interesting, but very strange.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else