POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : pov new server problem? : Re: pov new server problem? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 12:20:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pov new server problem?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 15 Oct 2004 23:58:08
Message: <MPG.1bda49912fa1a2b9989bec@news.povray.org>
In article <9jkvm0lshe069nmaumqqqchtbi9p0od4aj@4ax.com>,
pov### [at] almostbestwebnet says...
> More info: I use Windows ME as the OS, and hamster "classic"
> as the newsgrabber.  I've used the same version since 2001
> so (again) nothing has changed on my end.

Mine Windows 98, using Gravity, so no common issue there, though it may
be why mines successfully transfers everything, then dies during a
posting, but yours hangs during the downloading. Though this doesn't make
sense if it is the server having trouble sending them. I suspect more
something that is tied to timeouts for the connection or some other odd
issue. Though.... I was having the same problem you had on nearly every
message when the reader was set to download only the headers. When I
clicked on a header, it would go to the server to retrieve the actual
article, but for some reason the server would fail to respond, but the
client would insist it was still connected, until I clicked the dialog
box to acknowledge the error, then the 'connected' icon actually showed a
disconnect. Same behaviour I guess, your must do something slightly
different when downloading the messages. Mine does:

1. Get a list of groups with new posts.
2. Retrieve headers from groups.
3. If set to defaults - download on demand.
   As set now - download all new posts.

Yours may be trying to retrieve a header, then the article for it, then
the next header, etc or something, which is why it dies the same way mine
did when downloading on demand. Who knows. It is definitely odd though.

> So who does one contact for povray news server Problems?

If I knew...

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()