POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : pov new server problem? : Re: pov new server problem? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 12:15:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pov new server problem?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 13 Oct 2004 18:09:28
Message: <MPG.1bd75546dcdf8c55989be8@news.povray.org>
In article <416c3961$1@news.povray.org>, tor### [at] torfboldcom says...
> I had similar problems - connection works fine first, but later (about
> 10 minutes) I get disconnected and can't connect anymore. It happened
> mostly when I tried to post something (that's why I didn't post that
> much in the last month :(
>
> But I can't definitely say that it was a problem with the POV server,
> cause I had similar problems with other sites and therefore I think my
> router is to blame.

Well.. This is nearly identical to my issue, save that I can 'force' a
reconnection, though only after both I and the Gravity client manage to
agree something went wrong. I doubt the likelihood of it being on our
respective ends though. I am on dialup, so have no router to blame, nor
can I reasonably argue that it is the ISP, unless both of ours use the
same software, hardware, configurations, etc. This is highly improbable.
The only possible issue I could see it is this is unique to Windows
systems and resulting from some recent in-'security update'. However, I
doubt all of us are using the same version of Windows and all of us are
thus likely to be shackled with the same buggy patch, especially since
there are only a handful of protocols, drivers and OS components in
between such a client and the internet, so the glitch would have to
reside in one of them (such as Winsock), not in the wide range of IE
specific bits (at least in theory, but with MS, who knows what
interdependencies actually exist...). If any of the three of us are not
using Windows, we all use different versions (mines 98 btw) and different
clients, then odds are even slimmer that it is on our end. Not to mention
that you would expect a larger number of people reporting it if some
recent patch mangled everyone's systems.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else