POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : pov new server problem? : Re: pov new server problem? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 12:17:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pov new server problem?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 12 Oct 2004 13:40:41
Message: <MPG.1bd5c4be95cca24a989be4@news.povray.org>
In article <fqmlm05cccptu3e9nmigjcr2i6f6fqtr25@4ax.com>,
pov### [at] almostbestwebnet says...
> 	Firstly, I am sorry if this is off-topic for
> this particular group.  I was unsure as to what
> catagory this would go under so "general" seemed a
> safe bet.
>
> 	Recently (like a week or so) I've begun to have
> trouble getting the news from the pov-ray news server.
> Before that, my software was grabbing everything from
> the server with no trouble at all.  In fact, this is the
> same software I've used for some years.
> 	What happens now is my newsreader connects
> to the povray news server succesfully and gets some
> messages but then gets stuck and times out.
> 	Oddly enough, this *seems* to be happening
> mostly on the pictures (binaries) newsgroup.
> 	I am trying to narrow down the cause of the
> problem, especially the question of if the problem is
> on my end or the server end.
> 	So, my actual question is: is anyone else
> having trouble getting news from the pov-ray
> server this week?
> 	The follow up question will be, if others
> are having trouble, is something up with the
> server?  (obviosuly, if no one else is having trouble,
> it is something on my end, though i can't imagine what)

I have been experiencing similar issues. It successfully captured all
articles, loads the headers, then just got disconnected. Since then I
have set it to also retrieve the article bodies, but that only fixes the
problem I was having with it telling me it wasn't able to retrieve them
when I clicked on a article. If I post a reply and forget to force it to
reconnect, the replies fail to be sent until the next day, since a bit
after it finishes retrieving things the server (and it has to be on the
server end) disconnects and the client won't send out posts unless
connected to the server. These problems 'never' happened until a few
weeks ago, then all of the sudden my client kept losing connection,
literally in the middle of reading or replying to an article. It drove me
completely nuts until I made it retrieve the bodies along with the
headers, but it is still a major pain in the rear even now with it still
disconnecting for no bloody reason.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()