POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Portrayal of persons of color in stylized art. : Re: Portrayal of persons of color in stylized art. Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:19:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Portrayal of persons of color in stylized art.
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 19 May 2004 19:06:59
Message: <MPG.1b1596306762db22989a52@news.povray.org>
In article <40aad1c4$1@news.povray.org>, "Greg M. Johnson" <gregj;-
)565### [at] aolcom> says...
> Thanks. I tried those textures and they seemed to work well.
> Any gossip on why Poser dropped the ethnic characters?

Reverse discrimination and the existence of a small number of people that
still insist they are repressed? Just a guess of course, but something I
read recently suggests that we have traded racial prejudice for a much
more powerful fear that any tiny little mistake we make could be racist,
even when it is a) unintended, b) meant it jest or c) used by the same
skinned communities current generation as a sign of affection. Think
Jackie Chan's line in Rush Hour, "What's up my niger!", when it gets him
attacked, but was OK for his partner.

Basically someone probably complained, so rather than buck the trend and
telling the complainers to shut up and stop spreading fear and reverse
prejudice, then just buckled like everyone else. I'll bet on it. Give it
another 50 years of the new generations of people bucking the trend the
kids of that time will wonder what the heck the problem even was.
Assuming the fear and paranoia doesn't cause the current generations to
explode first.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()