POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Can't Access Certain Commands in Tools : Re: Can't Access Certain Commands in Tools Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:12:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can't Access Certain Commands in Tools
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 18 May 2004 17:11:56
Message: <MPG.1b1429c190150a6c989a4e@news.povray.org>
In article <web.40aa75bc27c58a6a6b9afb860@news.povray.org>, nomail@nomail
says...
> > Ok.. First off, it can't 'run' POV files. It can only take images and
> > compress them into a video stream. So, what you need to do is run the
> > clockdemo.ini file inside POVRay. The ini file includes the information
> > needed to tell POVRay how many frames to create, etc. These frames will
> > probably be called something like clockdemo1.bmp, clockdemo2.bmp, etc.
> > You need to select the clockdemo1.bmp file in TMPGEnc, since that is the
> > 'first' image in the sequence you want to make into a movie. TMPGEnc will
> > then run you through a series of screens for various settings, unless you
> > know what you are doing, ignore these. Finally it will reach a screen
> > with the 'output file'. This will likely be something like clockdemo.mpg,
> > so unless you want to name it something else, you can also leave that
> > alone. TMPGEnc should then read in each file one at a time, until it
> > reaches that last bmp file with clockdemo in its name, followed by a
> > number. Really simple. ;)
> >
> > Now, as for the .ini files in povray. Most do not include a line
> > specifying the 'type' to produce. This means that unless you have done
> > what I did and edited povray.ini to change the default to png (I did this
> > because I don't have the space for the 100+ images some animations
> > generate), it will default to the 'system' type, which in windows is
> > .bmp. If you change this default in povray.ini or in the clockdemo.ini,
> > then of course the file you tell TMPGEnc to start with will be a .png
> > file instead. However, if you use this type, you 'must' install the vfpng
> > files I mentioned first, since TMPGEnc doesn't know how to read them
> > without it. If you have lots of drive space (like an 80GB drive or
> > something), then this is going to be a lot less of an issue than for me.
> > lol In that case, you can probably stick with .bmp and be OK. At least as
> > long as you eventually delete all the original images after you have a
> > mpg video you like. ;) lol
>
> That's odd. I'm using POV-ray version 3.5. The tutorial that came with
> version 3.5 said that the older versions required the manual creation of
> separate frames in a sequence, each frame with its own name. The tutorial
> said that the new version I'm NOW using doesn't require that, anymore. The
> tutorial said that I do not need a separate batch script and no external
> sequencing programs. Apparently, the command line can be used to activate
> an internal animation sequence that causes POV-ray to automatically handle
> the animation loop details for me. All I'd need to put into the ini file
> are "Initial_Frame=1 Final_Frame=20" if I wanted to generate 20 frames for
> the animation. I could also have the option of putting "Initial_Clock=0.0
> Final_Clock=2.0" if I wanted the clock to cycle through values other than
> the default of just 0.0-1.0. Then, I also have a third option of adding
> "Subset_Start_Frame=7 Subset_End_Frame=12" if I wanted to view just frames
> [...]

Ok, yes, you can use the command line parameters to specify both file
type, the number of frames, etc. I am used to using the GUI and frankly
never saw any real point to running it from the command line, so
basically using the command line in this case is just like using the INI
file. All the INI file really does is provide POVRay with the command
line options in a file you can run from the GUI. The results are exactly
the same.
--
void main () {

    call functional_code()