POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Questionable Content on the Newsgroups : Re: Questionable Content on the Newsgroups Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:25:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Questionable Content on the Newsgroups
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 6 Apr 2004 17:25:34
Message: <MPG.1adccdcf1a0bed95989a12@news.povray.org>
In article <paj470tquqgovupb6rulap3ac4e8ul9g6b@4ax.com>, abx### [at] abxartpl
says...
> On 5 Apr 2004 19:16:44 -0400, "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <spa### [at] raf256com> wrote:
> > What gives You right to decide what other persons should or should not see?
> > Are You some God?
>
> Smoking has side effects to non smokers.
> Using deodorants has side effect kilometers above earth.
> Supporting Saddam by some countries some years ago had side effects nowadays.
> Ignoring Lepper (Polish specific) a few years ago makes our future danger.
>
> Observing wrong behaviours without reaction does not stop wrong behaviours. It
> only encourage to propagate this behaviour. There is nothing related to
> christianism in it. It's social problem of preserving some respect to
> conventional rules so our children could live in peace.

Conventional?? Whose convention, the US, British, Japanese, people living
in the amazon rain forest that may only see their first computer next
week and consider clothing and don't have a clue what anyones else's
'conventional' view is? Conventions changes from one country to another
with respect to some of this stuff, like everything else. Which one
prevails, since postings here could come from any or all such sources, at
least in theory. I have no problem with the idea of our children living
in peace, but I have seen way to many cases where that peace is broken,
not by their exposure to something, but the intolerance or anger of those
that thought it was "wrong". And I am not just talking about pictures.
psychological harm has to come about as a result of both exposure and
"how" everyone else handles it. The later factor is far more important
and more damage happens due to people being unwilling or unable to deal
with what happened in a sane fashion, than ever came about due to someone
seeing a picture. By making the mere exposure to such things the source
and not your reaction and lack of proper time spent talking about it as
the root cause of problems, it absolves you of the blame when, having
done nothing but said, "don't look at that, its bad", but not why turns
out to be ineffective. The fact that other cultures may handle the
situation completely differently, but have no more or less problems than
your proves the lie that it is the subject matter and not the parents and
society's reaction to it that gives rise to the problems.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else