POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : format and the web : Re: format and the web Server Time
3 Aug 2024 08:11:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: format and the web
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 5 Apr 2004 15:25:06
Message: <MPG.1adb6045f5222e34989a10@news.povray.org>
In article <4070963a@news.povray.org>, dne### [at] sanrrcom says...
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
> > You know.. I never quite understood why such and option even existed.
>
> Because FTP (and hence many other internet standards) use CR followed by
> LF to indicate the end of a line, while UNIX went askew and decided to
> drop the CR off the ends of lines to make it easier to program.
>
> Hence, if you copy a Unix-based file with only LFs to a Windows-based OS
> (or, for that matter, any of the many other OSes popular around the time
> such things were being created), it needs to stuff a CR before each LF
> in order to make it a valid text file.  If it's something like an
> executable or a .gif or something, doing that will corrupt the file,
> since those files aren't supposed to have CRs before every LF.
>
> Had UNIX stuck with CRLF meaning end of line, or had internet standards
> mandated that CR, LF, or CRLF would all be valid end-of-line markers in
> a byte stream, we wouldn't need that.

Yeah. I get that, but like anything else, it is a matter of designing the
programs on the machine to handle the problem, not assuming that the guy
downloading it will be on whatever system the machine storing it uses. I
mean, lets say I upload a Windows file to a unix server, then later
download it again to a Windows machine. Only in the last step I forget to
do it in text mode. Oops! It creates problems, not solving it.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else