POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Request for policy on pornographic content on news.povray.org : Re: Request for policy on pornographic content on news.povray.org Server Time
3 Aug 2024 08:15:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Request for policy on pornographic content on news.povray.org
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 30 Mar 2004 20:45:51
Message: <MPG.1ad3d01b675ae322989a00@news.povray.org>
In article <406930c4$1@news.povray.org>, tho### [at] trfde says...
> In article <4068deb3$1@news.povray.org> , "Greg M. Johnson"
> <gregj;-)565### [at] aolcom> wrote:
>
> > Could we have one and apply it to the image currently at p.b.i.?
>
> The imminent problem is more with the web view than with the newsgroups.
> With the image digest it is not possible for users to elect not to view an
> image based on subject line.
>
> For this reason, I removed the image from p.b.i in the web news view.
>

> Regarding the image content itself, I can only speak for myself at this
> time:
>
> I only took a short look at the image like I do with all images.  As I do
> this via the web view I did not look at all the details of any image (and
> there was no description given) but only at the artistic merit.  I could not
> see any merit, so I just moved on looking at other images.  Personally I
> think it is very bad judgment to post this image (as outlined in the AUP),
> and a link would be much more appropriate.
>
> However, given this is not the first time the poster has been bending the
> AUP to its limits, I am not sure to explicitly prohibit this particular post
> will be enough.  It is neither in the interest of the POV-Team, the TAG
> members or any regular visitor of these newsgroups that we turn the AUP into
> a loophole-free legal document.  And the POV-Team has better things to do
> than to repeatedly tweak our server because one person cannot use good
> judgement when posting.  How to deal with this will ultimately have to be
> decided by the server owner, I am afraid

Yes. It would have been a much better idea to post questionable stuff to
some place like Renderotica, which caters to such content. You also need
to register to get in, so unless you where a member prior to the addition
of registrations, you probably need to prove you are legal to view them.
Such cannot be done through a news group. Some common sense should be
applied (as laughable as that phrase often is).

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else