POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV Wishlist : Re: POV Wishlist Server Time
3 Aug 2024 18:22:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV Wishlist
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 25 Mar 2004 14:21:15
Message: <MPG.1accdf02d005aefc9899f5@news.povray.org>
In article <40625573$1@news.povray.org>, dne### [at] sanrrcom says...
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
> If you're complaining that it's not already available for free, then it
> doesn't sound like you're involved in professional print work at all. :-)

No I am not. But if I did get into it, I would prefer a cheap and usable
solution, not weeks spent trying to get something done that will work.
Yes, you can do all this now, but it requires either using POV-Ray's
plugin stuff, of which only 3 people have ever made one. QuietPOV, which
is little more than a alternate way to start things up, the Moray Plugin
that you can't get the source on and a totally non-functioning example
you can use to base your own from. Most of the stuff in the plugin system
no one has a clue how to use.

In any case, I was just talking about how I would do it, if I had a clue
how to do so. I was replying to someone else's comment about such a thing
not existing and suggesting how some of it might work, if anyone even did
manage to design it. But I have an aversion to plugin/external program
solutions for "basic" functionality, so didn't suggest such as a
possibility initially. At the very least, any external solution runs the
risk of being abandoned, ending up non-free (which for me is a non-
starter for even trying it) or eventually becomes useless as changes to
the program it was designed for make it stop working. Something built in
has less of a chance of this happening.

Maybe I am just strange or something, but sometimes I think about
solutions to *other people's* problems. Admittedly this seems to be
something rare and almost unheard of in open source, where 90% of stuff
that gets made is what the designer needed, not what they spent a few
minutes considering someone else may actually find more usable...

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else