POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : OT: GIMP tip : Re: GIMP tip Server Time
8 Jul 2024 17:47:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GIMP tip
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 18 Mar 2004 15:02:32
Message: <MPG.1ac3ae0aadb717949899ea@news.povray.org>
In article <83ej50524q8fie3hl5ciqsrc1tmgc7e1vp@4ax.com>, pet### [at] vipbg
says...
> As per my original post, I found a way to avoid some problems I (and I
> know many others) find annoying and wanted to share. As per some other
> posts, which probably don't belong to this thread and maybe not even
> to this group, I would like to find the reasoning behind the current
> GIMP design from a useability point of view, since this is a somewhat
> professional interest of mine. I do not want this to be a PS vs. GIMP
> thread and even less so a flame war - I want to use the best of both
> worlds and I believe I am on my way to doing so.

You know.. One irony here is Paintshop Pro. It uses a system I think
makes sense. The individual images are contained in a single MDI
interface as it the toolbar. No need to scramble about trying to figure
out which one you are working with. Adjustments to the tools, like
changing opacity or size are handled with floating windows.

Then I try Gimp. Yes, I can position the 'image' window as I like, but
there is no practical way to tile images, so I can work between them,
even if there was, it would treat all the other floating windows as
something to be tiled too. The floating windows are huge compared to the
very small 'drop down when needed' tools used in PSP, so you can't get
the damn things almost entirely out of your way if you want to make the
image window full screen. Changing the magnification scale doesn't help
matters. Opening a new image causes it to be either the wrong size
(usually too small) or resizes to fit the image, so it is now not full
screen anymore, etc..

I don't mind all the floating stuff, except it takes up room it doesn't
need to when I am not actually using it and you can't get the main image
window to behave in anything even approaching a sane and usable way as it
exists. I much prefer PSP. Imho.. If Gimp's main tool window was smaller,
taking up only the top of the screen, its other gadgets where drop down,
that just showed the basic title of the toolset, these things remained
floating on the 'top' of the other windows and Gimp was smart enough to
'tile' or 'stack' images in the space below the main toolbar (and to not
screw up the tiling if you zoom in or out on one of the images), I would
have been quite happy. MDI isn't really necessary for something like
this, but Gimp's implementation of a purely floating and disjointed
window system is irritating in the extreme. Even a badly designed MDI
would be better in many ways.

I agree with someone else's post, the current design is practical with
more than one display. However, I agree with you that on a single display
it is far more irritating that useful.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()