POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Flower power : Re: Flower power Server Time
4 Aug 2024 02:19:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Flower power
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 23 Oct 2003 17:38:14
Message: <MPG.1a01f6489951439d989907@news.povray.org>
In article <rd7WpEAGW7l$EwZc@econym.demon.co.uk>,
nos### [at] econymdemoncouk says...
> Wasn't it Patrick Elliott who wrote:
> >
> >In theory:
> >
> >http://mathworld.wolfram.com/StarrRose.html
> >
> >However, since they don't actually provide the equations for it, but
> >simply assume you know how to derive it from the 2D calcs in:
>
> They do give the method for producing the Maurer Rose
> http://icl.pku.edu.cn/yujs/MathWorld/math/m/m108.htm
> which can be achieved in POV like this. My guess is that the Starr Rose
> just uses some other stepping algorithm, but I can't guess what. I think
> the 3d effect of the Starr is an optical illusion, and that it's
> actually flat like the Maurer.
>
> This doesn't seem to be moving in the direction of isosurface flowers.

Yeah. Someone that is a math wiz suggested that may be the case. I think
if you knew what you where doing you could fudge it though. Use one of
those calcs that produce:

---\
    \---

for the z axis some how with the current radius from the center defining
where on that path the point lies. I have no clue how to manage it
though. However, I would think it would be possible. How well it
would works is another matter.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()