POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Flower power : Re: Flower power Server Time
3 Aug 2024 20:14:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Flower power
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 22 Oct 2003 23:48:22
Message: <MPG.1a00fb8641b5c8e6989901@news.povray.org>
In article <cja### [at] netplexaussieorg>,
cja### [at] earthlinknet says...
> In article <3f971c0a$1@news.povray.org>,
>  "Hughes, B." <omn### [at] charternet> wrote:
>
> > I had thought this might be something already done by someone before but I
> > sure can't locate anything concerning a isosurface flower. I suppose I'm
> > thinking of meshes.
>
> I did this a *long* time ago, when I was first playing around with
> isosurfaces. It was basically an extremely distorted sphere function,
> and looked a bit like a fat rose. A mesh certainly seems like a better
> choice, however.

In theory:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/StarrRose.html

However, since they don't actually provide the equations for it, but
simply assume you know how to derive it from the 2D calcs in:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Rose.html

It isn't very helpful. Especially since I can't figure out what 'a' needs
to be or do to make Rose calcs work right either....

In my case I am trying to do something like:

N = 5 * rnd
vdelta = 2 * PI * rnd
vector = a * sin(N * vdelta)
X = cos(vector) * 30
Y = sin(vector) * 30

The problem is all I get is a dang circle... It is driving me batty. If
it was for something in POV, it would be driving me even more nuts. But
man would the StarrRose make a real nice Isosurface. Sigh...

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else