POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : No POV-Ray at Renderosity site : Re: Post Process [was: No POV-Ray at Renderosity site] Server Time
4 Aug 2024 06:11:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Post Process [was: No POV-Ray at Renderosity site]
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 9 Sep 2003 23:18:21
Message: <MPG.19c8447522456ad49898a2@news.povray.org>
In article <jer### [at] netplexaussieorg>,
jer### [at] acusdedu says...
> In article <3f5cbcbc$1@news.povray.org>,
>  Florian Brucker <tor### [at] torfboldcom> wrote:
> >> So a sculptor should look for a piece of stone that has the exact right
> >> colours in the right spots, and should not use paint on his sculptures?
> >
> >of course he can use paint. but he should not take a photo of the
> >scuplture and post process it in photo shop :)
>
> Post-processing within a 3d program has significant advantages over post
> processing outside of the program.

Well. In the program, where the process takes into account the original
scene, I would consider OK. It is like, using the statue analogy, you
where merely polishing the surface of a more of less finished sculpture.
The problem with external effects added through Photoshop and the like is
that the effect is more like getting 85% of the way through producing
your sculpture, then sticking it in an alcove, where you can't see the
incomplete back, then placing special glass in front of it to blur the
edges, so you can't tell that they are unfinished either. You may be able
to prevent anyone from noticing the flaws and you could even conceivably
win in a contest, if the only thing anyone was allowed to judge by was
the final photo you took of it, but its a cheap trick that doesn't show
your true skill, only how good you are at hiding your mistakes or
laziness.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()