POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : No POV-Ray at Renderosity site : Re: No POV-Ray at Renderosity site Server Time
4 Aug 2024 08:18:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: No POV-Ray at Renderosity site
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 7 Sep 2003 23:45:27
Message: <MPG.19c5a7bab79d585a9898a0@news.povray.org>
In article <3f5b3f31$1@news.povray.org>, z99### [at] bellsouthnet says...
> Tim Nikias v2.0 wrote:
> > On Renderosity, I have yet to see one incredible
> > pic where it doesn't say: Maya/Lightwave/etc with
> > Post Processing by Photoshop/Combustion/etc, Hair
> > made with ... background with...
>
>  In my opinion, postwork is a
> crutch if you're doing something with it that could
> just as well be done inside the renderer with a little
> effort...

I agreed with you on that, but then one problem with Poser and most
(all?) other programs that rely on meshes is that you can't do without
post processing. Unless you have a machine like the ones they use as ILM,
with lots of memory for a 'monolithic' mesh, you always end up with edges
on objects that have sharp and obvious lines, where they should be a
curve. You can't hide them. You can make them nearly invisible if
'really' careful, but some with still be there. The only ones you don't
see them in is when someone used Photoshop and blended them out. Until
you find a way to correct this basic flaw in meshes inside the engine
itself, or you avoid meshes completely, it it virtually 100% certain that
some post processing will have to be done.

My main complaint about post though is the simple fact that it really
only shows what they could do in post. You can never be sure what or how
much they changed the final result, and they could just as easily done a
really excellent job of dropping a well lit model on top of a photo. Mind
you most I see that do this are very bad at it, but done right it the
difference can be impossible to tell apart from a 'real' scene. Some
magazines even show you how to fake the whole bloody thing using 'only'
PhotoShop. I want to see the flaws or, failing that, a definitive
declaration that they never so much as touched a photo program or other
post effects. That impresses me.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()