POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : No POV-Ray at Renderosity site : RE: No POV-Ray at Renderosity site Server Time
4 Aug 2024 08:25:47 EDT (-0400)
  RE: No POV-Ray at Renderosity site
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 7 Sep 2003 23:33:34
Message: <MPG.19c5a4f7920f481498989f@news.povray.org>
In article <3f5b6035@news.povray.org>, tji### [at] euskalnetnet says...

> noticias 3f5b3c43$1@news.povray.org...
> <snip>
> > > Modellers exist for POV.
> > Moray? SPatch? Yeah, some do exist. But can they really
> > compete with Lightwave, Maya, etc? I'm not so sure about
> > that.
> > (AFAIK though, Maya has a POV-Ray Plug-In...)
>
>  Modellers for povray?. Almost every 3D$ program can act
> as a modeller for povray
Sort of...

> (I'm still waiting for someone who create a converter from
> mesh or mesh2 to obj or 3ds.)
This is why it is only 'sort of'. If it doesn't output native POV code or
only supports a version from 10 years ago, or fails to support some basic
features (Moray's direct addition of SDL doesn't count imho, especially
if it is an object you are trying to add and position), then it isn't
really a good POV-Ray modeller. Nearly every conversion method messes
something up, fails to convert some things or flat out won't support some
features that make it impossible to take full advantage of the modellers
capabilities. A 'real' modeller for POV-Ray would have to be 100%
supportive of the current version and at least attempt to provide native
and 'accurate' conversion of models from other popular apps. Having 16
different programs to do this, because all of them are missing something
you need, isn't helpful in the least from my view.

> I think that the level of knowledge and practice you have with
> the program you are using is what really makes the difference
> (and usually the amount of work invested in an scene also
> counts ;-)
True, but even mastery of one, that has a complicated solution that takes
hours to produce, isn't quite as good as one that will let you do the
same thing as a standard feature in a few clicks. The idea is for
programs to progress, not develop some bizarre form of computerized urban
blight, because the zoning laws say you can't have one modeller that
supports everything correctly. ;) lol

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()