POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Units of Measure : Re: Units of Measure Server Time
4 Aug 2024 06:15:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Units of Measure
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 27 Aug 2003 20:37:15
Message: <MPG.19b6fb512886d4d9989883@news.povray.org>
In article <pan### [at] internodeonnet>,
pod### [at] internodeonnet says...
> On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 17:24:02 +0100, Alan Smith wrote:
>
> > Yes,  but not everyone makes that assumption. Some people "assume" that 1
> > unit is 1 inch and all their modelling is in feet and inches, or if say
> > modelling a room of a house, others might choose to assume that 1 unit was
> > 1m others may prefer to work in cm.
> >
> > It would be nice if people were encoraged to work off the same system, and
> > this would mean objects could be copied in an instant with a cut and paste
> > between files.   It's also more readable in my view.
> >
> > Alan Smith.
> >
> > "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <spa### [at] raf256com> wrote in message
> > news:Xns### [at] 204213191226...
> >> ala### [at] aurora-ukcom news:3f4b68aa$1@news.povray.org

> >> I just assume at begin of file that i.e.
> >>
> >> // file ... by ...
> >> // 1 unit = 1 cm
> >> // 1 m = 100 units
> >>

> But what is the ratio of say cm to POV units to be if it is built in?
> If I am modelling a molecule I might use 1cm = 10^6 POV units, for a
> planet, 1000km might = 1 POV unit.
>
> I don't see how you could possible have built in units that suit all
> purposes.

That is why I mentioned that there should be some way to scale things as
well. This might be possible as a set of macros, so you set some value
and have the macros automatically adjust all of the numbers based off
that value. The major problem with that is imho that having to have the
macro reused each and every time that you need to use a unit is plain
stupid. There might I supposed be some easier way, but what ever method
used needs to calculate any change in scale you make 'once' and then us
it from that point on.

However, this comes into a problem. Lets say that you are making a scene
with objects in are defined by someone else in a different scales (like
microscopic) and you want them to be 'visible' in a scene that you are
making on a more normal scale of inches. Suddenly you have to shift
definitions to properly include the smaller scale objects, but a normal
include can't do that and one using macros takes extra parsing time you
that could add up fast in a long animation. A built in method that you
can rescale with one simple command would be far easier than using an
include file.

Yes, there are non-built in solutions to these things, but they are often
not as efficient. I prefer efficient. ;) Still, it is theoretically
possible to do it in script, but only if you take into account all the
ways some fool might try to use it. Most includes probably can't deal
with something like the example I gave and still remain 'compatible'
across different implementations of such a file.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else