POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PNG to MPEG : PNG to MPEG Server Time
4 Aug 2024 04:12:49 EDT (-0400)
  PNG to MPEG
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 28 Jul 2003 18:15:12
Message: <MPG.198f4d5815abd00b989848@news.povray.org>
Seems the people at TMPGEnc are suffering from Digital Rube Goldberg
Syndrome. You may not have heard of it, but I am sure you have seen it.
The symptoms are having someone write a program to do something
incredibly useful, then they stare at you, like you have grown an extra
head, when you ask them why they don't add support for something that
could let you do something in one step with their program, but currently
requires 10 steps and 5 other programs to accomplish. lol (Ok. Maybe 2-3
programs and steps in this case, but that isn't much better imho.)

In any case, I recently ran all the animation samples from POV-Ray, with
the output set to PNG. You know, 'in order to maintain the correct
colors, the image quality and still save space.' Totally novel concept I
know. ;) I ended up having to batch convert all the damn things into BMP
and just about gave Windows a heart attack on one set of 600 images when
it started to run out of disk space. So... the questions I have are:

1. Is there anything out there that will do what TMPGEnc won't and
compress PNG into an MPEG stream? If not, then >

2. Are AVI compressed at all and if so, how much image quality loss do
you have to worry about when using TMPGEnc to convert them to an MPEG
stream. If they are compressed and the result of the second compression
to MPEG isn't a disaster >

3. Is there actually anything out there that will create an AVI from PNG
files.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()