POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Subsurface Scattering : Re: Subsurface Scattering Server Time
4 Aug 2024 12:19:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Subsurface Scattering
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 21 Jul 2003 15:54:49
Message: <MPG.1985f2207d12bc6198983f@news.povray.org>
In article <cja### [at] netplexaussieorg>,
cja### [at] earthlinknet says...
> In article <MPG.198496eefefa88b98983e@news.povray.org>,
>  Patrick Elliott <sha### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>
> > Umm. I am confused here.. Looking at the docs implies that density is a
> > color vector. I am a bit unclear how you make that more dense,
>
> To put it in technical terms: use bigger numbers.
>

> > nor does
> > increasing the size of this vector seem to produce a noticeable effect.
>
> It does.
>

> >         scattering {1, rgb <1,0,0> extinction 0}
>
> You only scatter red light, green and blue are unaffected by this media
> (though your pigment filters them out). When I'm doing an object that is
> mainly colored by its interior, I use a pigment of rgbf 1. Yours filters
> everything red. In addition, your extinction is set to 0, this media
> won't impede light passing through it. And you don't have anything else
> in your scene. I'm not really sure what effect you're after, you're
> certainly not going to get anything like milk with that. Your density
> pattern has so much fine detail that you are going to require a lot of
> sampling to get decent results, even after scaling it up by 10.

Hmm.. Wasn't thinking about what was actually being scattered there.
Probably why absorption didn't work either when I tried it that way. lol
As for the effect.. I am not looking for milk, etc. Just really dense
media. I used the checker pattern to add some variance to it when I
realized something wasn't working and figured a pattern could tell me if
it was working at all. The idea was to try to see if I could make the
media solid enough to make it seem as though the inside was nearly solid,
by having the media fill it in, instead of simply CSGing a box with the
same color as the sphere. Stupid, but... lol Probably should have looked
at some real examples first and worked from there. ;)

Basically, I wanted it so thick that the back shadow nearly disappears
and the media seemed to be part of the sphere itself, not just something
that kind of floated in it. At this point I am about ready to scrap the
entire experiment, since I seem to flat out not get how this feature
works. lol

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()