POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Radiosity artifacts : Re: Radiosity artifacts Server Time
4 Aug 2024 12:16:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity artifacts
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 11 Jul 2003 14:25:23
Message: <MPG.1978ae3a38c90713989832@news.povray.org>
In article <Xns### [at] 204213191226>, spa### [at] raf256com
says...
> git### [at] wanadoofr news:3f0dd15b@news.povray.org

> >> 3..5 or more
> > This is definitely overkill. For practical purposes, recusion is not a
> > measure of quality. Most scenes look good enough with recursion 1,
> > many can
>
> I dissagree, I usualy use 4-5. It is very important in some scenes - for
> quick example imagin a maze with a light source far away, but with very
> white walls like rgb .9 diffuse .9
>
> ascii art :
>
> ####### ########
> <)    # #      #
> ##### ###  ### #
>     #      # # #
>     ######## # #
>             #   #
>             # * # <- light source
>             #####
> in scene as above with recursion limit 4 image will be 100% black, and with
> recursion ~10 it will be o.k.
>
> using adc_bailout 1/128 will prevent "overkill" :) and it is not broken.

You sure this isn't 'normal'? There are examples of this sort of maze
that are built to intentionally minimize refraction and will as a result
'always' appear black from the camera location in the real world. Adding
levels of recursion to it to 'make it work right' is in such cases likely
wrong anyway.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()