POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : materials : Re: materials Server Time
4 Aug 2024 08:22:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: materials
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 10 Jun 2003 14:48:17
Message: <MPG.194fd57b4b699e2a98981f@news.povray.org>
In article <3ee610eb@news.povray.org>, gsm### [at] netcourriercom says...
> Hello,
>
> I want to translate some material from Anim8or to PovRay (for a converter).
>
> In anim8or, my materials have these properties:
>
> Ambient: percentage, color, texture (it can be an image like .gif)
> Diffuse:   percentage, color, texture (it can be an image like .gif)
> Specular: percentage, color, texture (it can be an image like .gif)
> Emissive: percentage, color, texture (it can be an image like .gif)
> Transparancy: percentage, texture (it can be an image like .gif)
> Bumpmap: percentage, texture (it can be an image like .gif)
> Rough: percentage
> Brillance: percentage
>

> I am a beginner in Povray and i have tried to find some matches with Povray
> materials, but i have not found all of these properties.
>
> How can i modify this example of material in order to convert all of the
> propertises i have listed above?
> (for example i don't know how to put a diffuse color to this material,
> without removing the image).
>
> #declare material01 = texture {
> uv_mapping pigment {
>    image_map {
>    gif "pierres.gif"
>    map_type 0
>    interpolate 0
>    }
> }
> finish { ambient rgb <0.0,0.0,1.0>}
> finish { diffuse 0.7}
>
> }

Hmm.. Simplest answer would probably be that you can't directly. Ambient,
Diffuse and Specular are coupled to the image map or color you use in
POV-Ray. They can't be specified as different colors. Emissive doesn't
really exist, there are way to make a light that has a specific shape,
but you can't make a normal object 'emit' at a different color than its
own. The exception to this rule would be a partly transparent object
containing media that emits in the color you want. Also, when using
radiosity, the ambient will function as emitting I believe.

Some of this might be possible to do with layered textures, like a green
object with a partly transparent red layer that has an ambient property.
That 'should' make the red more obvious in shadow while the green would
fade out. You could do some similar things with diffuse and specular, but
again, the layers need to be at least partly transparent for them to
blend together.

Transparency is generally a function of the image map, texture or color
used, though there may be a way to make it like Anim8or. I know you could
do so by taking the existing single color and adding <0,0,0,1> to it. You
would need to do that for every color used, however I am not sure how you
tweak an image in that fashion.

Bumpmap and brilliance may or may not work the same.

Rough would be roughness and only works with specular hilights.

This is my best guess, from nosing through the documentation. Someone
else may be able to provide a better idea about more complex stuff. Seems
Anim8or provides some quirky ways to set up some of this stuff, but then
this is not surprising, since the point of POV-Ray is realism, so it is
designed to calculate most of these things based on the real object
properties, not discreet definitions, while Anim8or uses these quirky
things to avoid having to make such calculations in most cases. In those
cases where Anim8or textures use the same 0-1 values it appears that the
result would be near direct translation, but when you start using a
different color or pattern for each property... ;)

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else