POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 2.8 GHz chip is 2.5 times slower than 1 GHz : Re: 2.8 GHz chip is 2.5 times slower than 1 GHz Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:12:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2.8 GHz chip is 2.5 times slower than 1 GHz
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 14 Mar 2003 15:05:28
Message: <MPG.18dbdcb250372a2989774@news.povray.org>
In article <3e71e290$1@news.povray.org>, "Greg M. Johnson" <gregj:-
)565### [at] aolcom> says...
> I got a new WinXP PC with a 2.8 GHz chip.  I ran the benchmark.pov scene
> this PC and an old one with 1 GHz.  Both boxes are WinXP.
>
> Results:
>   2.8 GHz  13361  secs
>   1.0 GHz    5315 secs.
>
> Comments:
>
> 1) This *does* play in to my cynicism that advances in hardware are going to
> be taken up by the demands of the operating system for ads,  checks on the
> internet for Windows bugifixes every other minute, etc...

Well, I seem to remember someone once saying that, "if you idiot proof
things enough, only an idiot will want to use them." I think in some
respects Windows is starting to approach that level. The blasted OS
already liked to do incomprehensibly useless things in Win98 (like
letting some programs spawn 20 dial-up connection wizards if they
couldn't access the internet), now it does even more stuff behind your
back in XP. lol

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()