POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : new to raytracing in general, is moray the way to go? : Re: new to raytracing in general, is moray the way to go? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:28:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: new to raytracing in general, is moray the way to go?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 11 Mar 2003 16:14:06
Message: <MPG.18d7fb817f86414a989772@news.povray.org>
In article <3e6e0ce3@news.povray.org>, nek### [at] swirvecom says...
> Hi,
>
> I've just started playing around with POV-Ray by going through the tutorials
> (and being overwhelmed), but I'm really not a big fan of the concept of
> creating a scene using the SDL - is Moray a great way to use POV-Ray for
> creating scenes of any complexity? Are there any drawbacks to using Moray
> rather than POVRay by itself (apart from the shareware licence).
>
> My current plan is to get the hang of everything in the "Beginning Tutorial"
> section (basic shapes, CSG, lighting etc) and see if I'm still enjoying
> myself!
>
> cheers,
>
> --
> cheers,
> neko_

Moray is useful, but some tweaking 'may' be needed to the final SDL. Why?
Because Moray uses approximations of objects. Neither OpenGL or its
wireframe system give a 100% accurate positional match to where things go
in it. This is imho a drawback, since you still have to know exactly
where something needs to be in order for all of it to line up correctly.
Since all objects in Moray appear in a specific default alignment, things
like cylinders that you can normally create in the SDL by giving their
'exact' end points requires trying to rotate them in Moray. This
sometimes just won't work right, no matter how careful you are about
trying to rotate it into position. Personally I prefer the pure SDL in
most cases, since I end up doing as much work getting stuff right in
Moray as I do hand coding in some cases. However, it seems to have been
improved since the last version I tried, even if annoying quirks like the
cylinder issue has yet to be properly addressed imho.

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()
  else