POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : running povray from another program without bringing up interface : Re: running povray from another program without bringing up interface Server Time
5 Aug 2024 04:15:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: running povray from another program without bringing up interface
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 6 Feb 2003 15:25:44
Message: <MPG.18ac6f4e1bd9e05c989720@news.povray.org>
In article <3e416dc4@news.povray.org>, git### [at] wanadoofr says...

> 3e4164ea@news.povray.org...
> > No.  Read the license.  That isn't allowed.
>
> Before jumping to conclusions about potential wrongdoings and license
> violations, he may have legitimate reasons to do so.
> I'm launching POV-Ray from Access to create graphics for the database I'm
> running at work. I'm using the DOS version of POV-Ray 3.1 to avoid having
> the splash screen pop up every time I create a graphic (I've done 3000 of
> them so far). I'm the sole user, so I definitely don't hide to myself the
> fact that I'm using POV-Ray ;-)
>
> G.
>

> --
> **********************
> http://www.oyonale.com
> **********************
> - Graphic experiments
> - POV-Ray and Poser computer images
> - Posters

This brings up an issue of something I was considering. The idea is in
essence this:

Make a pge that also provides:
  A) Built in display window.
  B) Some basic controls like stop and pause/resume.
  C) Settings for image directory to use and location of the .pov file.
  D) Implements a COM interface, making it an insertable control in other
programs, with the following calls:
    1. FTP file and render.
    2. UUDecode stream to file and render.
    3. Stop.
    4. Pause/resume.
    5. Set option.

The idea being to provide the control for free, but since the interface
is implemented by the control itself, it can display the normal text
streams in the display window, then switches to a graphic one when
rendering starts (probably in a tab strip design). Thus it will always
show the same info about POVRay version, etc as you would see in the
main editor. Since the control is free, it could be included as a
supported control with a program, but not as part of the program itself.

I think this would theoretically resolve the issues in the license as it
stands, but I really don't understand how the bloody GUIExt interface
works and if those streams even available to the extension (something
that would tend to blow a hole in my idea). I don't really want to spend
a lot of time trying to figure the interface out if I can't feed those
streams through it or this idea has some unintentional defect with regard
to the licensing...

--
void main () {

    call functional_code()