POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How do I use most of my RAM for tracing? : Re: How do I use most of my RAM for tracing? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 12:28:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How do I use most of my RAM for tracing?
From: Brian Elliott
Date: 29 Apr 2002 10:46:53
Message: <MPG.1737f9d2c75f9bd1989680@news.povray.org>
In article <3CCBE582.692A9517@gmx.de>, tim### [at] gmxde says...
> No no! I meant I have 512 MB RAM, and sometimes it
> seems that the disk is swapping although peak level
> is somewhat lower (I know that windows etc need
> RAM too, but I feel like there's some RAM unused
> while swapping).
>
> But that's probably just Microsoft at work, not POV-Ray...

Tim, maybe what you are looking for is this:

This is confirmed for Win98 BTW.
In your system.ini file, section
[386Enh]
ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1

Yes, Windows DOES lay heavily into disk swap when you still have heaps of
unused physical RAM.  This parameter will set that straight.  Your swap
file (and disk) will stay unused until you really do exhaust your RAM.

Cheers,
  Brian.