POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : pov2 html on-line : Re: pov2 html on-line Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:33:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pov2 html on-line
From: Lutz-Peter Hooge
Date: 19 Mar 2002 13:54:42
Message: <MPG.1701a8344347681d9896f1@news.povray.org>
In article <m8ne9ussrad7im0bagk2kt0fipepfjtpph@4ax.com>, abx### [at] babilonorg
says...

> hierarchy/meaning. Putting two line breaks is text formatting and text
> formatting isn't part of document herarchy

That is a point.
But I really think, if multiple br's were supposed to be ignored, than
specification would explicitly say that, like it does for <p>.

> Anyway I again
> suggest different line break handling. In particular simple "\n" is valid in
> <pre> and even use less bits of transfer :-)

Now, that I took that out, you want it back ;-)
No, the reason why I originally used <br>'s instead of \n inside a <pre>
block was that Netscape 4 ocassionly ignored the \n, I assume it was
confused by the <span> elements, but these are needed for the
highlighting...

I really think the way it is now is the cleanest and most compatible.
If someone actually finds a (not too exotic) browser that doesn't like
the line breaks as they are now, I'll replace it with <br>
But I really don't want to add a space where there wasn't one in the
original source, unless it really is necessary.

> "The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be
> experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser
> settings." :-(

Unfortunately there's nothing I could do about that (but here it works).

Lutz-Peter