POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Real Time Ray Tracing : Re: Real Time Ray Tracing Server Time
6 Aug 2024 21:39:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Real Time Ray Tracing
From: Jamie Davison
Date: 10 Mar 2002 14:34:34
Message: <MPG.16f5c5d7e9177175989af8@news.povray.org>
> > No, just a built-in scene to demonstrate that contrary to some claims
> > POV-Ray is not slow.  Some scenes are simply very complex and people
> > making the claim a scene renders slowly because POV-Ray would be slow
> > don't really know what they are talking about because they are
> > comparing it to (commercial) programs that don't use ray-tracing or
> > simplified forms of (pseudo) ray-tracing :-)
>
> As an example of what the industry uses for serious work:  On the two-
> disc DVD set for Shrek, the CGI supervisors remark on one scene that
> took nine hours per frame to render.

On the bonus disc for Final Fantasy etc. etc. it was mentioned that one
of the scene files took about 45 minutes to load up on the systems they
were using...  (can't check exact details right now, I've lent the discs
out to a friesnd, and won't be visiting him again until next month.
Sheesh, you're gone from Friday evening to Sunday evening and there are
55ish posts waiting here to ambush you when you get back...)

Bye for now,
     Jamie.