POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Parallel / Distributed Network Rendering Included in POV : Re: Parallel / Distributed Network Rendering Included in POV Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:21:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Parallel / Distributed Network Rendering Included in POV
From: Lutz-Peter Hooge
Date: 22 Nov 2001 20:33:32
Message: <MPG.16679bdb78a10f489896be@news.povray.org>
In article <355### [at] 3-enet>, dan### [at] 3-enet says...
> Distributing rendering in chunks is rather crude, it is far better to write
> code that spreads computational loops and recursion etc. over as many
> threads

Why? I think, for performance, this is worse then rendering chunks,
because the OS also needs CPU time for assigning tasks to each CPU.
And the more often the different threads/tasks change/interact, the more
time it needs. So, for maximum performance it should IMHO be best to
split the rendering in exactly as many different tasks as there are CPUs
available, and then let each of them do their work completely on their
own.

Lutz-Peter