POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Colored Neon Lights that are real light sources. : Re: Colored Neon Lights that are real light sources. Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:26:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Colored Neon Lights that are real light sources.
From: Jamie Davison
Date: 1 Oct 2001 14:22:37
Message: <MPG.1622c47613985f7d989a30@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 01 Oct 2001 15:38:27 +0200, Eitan Tal wrote...
> I've been working hard on that, and I still didn't manage to make one.
> Any ideas?

You could use a transparent cylinder filled with emitting media of the
appropriate colour and a cylindrical density, set the media obect to
no_shadow, and put a long, thin area light inside it.

If you want Neon sign style lettering, then a sphere_sweep in POV 3.5Beta
filled with media may be what you're after, but you'd have to use an
obscene number of point lights scattered along the length of yout 'tube'
to get the lighting effect.

At least I think that would work (Disclaimer: this is off the top of my
head and is by no means guaranteed to work...)

Bye for now,
     Jamie.