POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A question. : Re: A question. Server Time
7 Aug 2024 21:19:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question.
From: Jamie Davison
Date: 19 Sep 2001 14:21:59
Message: <MPG.1612f3733d3aa340989a1a@news.povray.org>
> Two observations. First, it is the community
> that is changing rather than POV-Ray. There
> are more and more very sophisticated users.

Yep, looks like I'm becoming a crusty old relic <grin>  More due to my
lack of programming skills or inclination than due to age.

> Secondly, I think you are on to something
> which is that the computer graphics environment
> is changing. There are many powerful and
> affordable CG packages now and the
> niche for POV-Ray is becoming more the
> hands-on programming specialty.

The main reason I like POV is primitive based modelling.  I don't like
working with polygon meshes for all that they give you that little bit
more flexibility.

> I'm not a programmer, yet I'm working on
> two VisualBasic programs that generate
> POV-Ray script. One takes social science
> statistical data and generates attractive
> stereoscopic pairs of bar charts and other
> simple graphs. The other is very simple, it
> generates random parameters for the Julia
> fractal. Very fun though, I can spend hours
> just running it over and over ;-)

Why not just download Fractint?  Surely it'd be quicker. ;)

Bye for now,
     Jamie.